Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 You will not believe this! >

You will not believe this!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

You will not believe this!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 PM

Default You will not believe this!

I just found out that I have a possible "coon" dog just a couple of minutes ago. It is just after midnight when I decide to release my female Husky to do her nightly thing as I couldn't sleep and she was begging so nicely. I let her go and about 10 minutes later I hear my male Husky bark. I walk out and notice that "Shir" is back, so I let her in, but also notice something rather big laying right below the steps...I walk in and tell my younger brother that "Shir" just brought a big rabbit home..lmao. He runs out and looks at it with the flashlight and runs back in and says" I think it is a skunk! I walk out and confirm that it is a Coon, not a skunk. I am surprised, I have trained my dogs to track deer, wounded or alive, but I didn't know they could coon hunt too!

Here are some pics:

Poor guy/girl?

This is 'Shir', the huntress...been raining steady all day today..

The male (black one) had to come out of course to chew on it a little...

Hmm, it had a crackling sound to it as he was chewing it...

The victim up close

My dogs. They'll do pretty much anything from pulling sleds, track deer and just overall great dogs!

Well I need to hit the sack, it's almost 12.40AM now...

Oh, btw, should I worry about Rabies? My dogs both had their shots of course. Just curious [&:]
Old 09-08-2004, 06:35 PM

Default RE: You will not believe this!

Hey ir655. I have a mountain cur, and they are bred for squirrels and coons. I doubt you need to worry if they have their shots...but some dogs can get something called coondog paralysis. It happens when the saliva from a coon gets in the dog, such as from a bite. It can make the dog lose balance for a few days, sometimes makes it look like they have no use of the back legs. It goes away, but an affected dog should probably see vet. It's not really common though, or else I don't think anybody would hunt coons with dogs. I think you're old killers should be just fine and probably really enjoyed the kill!! Hey, I also have a Siberian Husky, and they are good dogs. -MIKE
Old 09-08-2004, 08:29 PM

looks like they have got hold of a little kitten coon.....my coonhounds will CATCH a few in the corn fields.........we went tonight and treed two.....big ol bore coons to.........
Old 09-09-2004, 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SWOSUMike

Hey ir655. I have a mountain cur, and they are bred for squirrels and coons. I doubt you need to worry if they have their shots...but some dogs can get something called coondog paralysis. It happens when the saliva from a coon gets in the dog, such as from a bite. It can make the dog lose balance for a few days, sometimes makes it look like they have no use of the back legs. It goes away, but an affected dog should probably see vet. It's not really common though, or else I don't think anybody would hunt coons with dogs. I think you're old killers should be just fine and probably really enjoyed the kill!! Hey, I also have a Siberian Husky, and they are good dogs. -MIKE
Thanks Mike, I was thinking the same thing about them getting infected with something. My ex-girlfriend was a pretty avid coon hunter. She is 21 and I am 20, anyway, while I was with her I went on MANY hunts and competitions. It was OK as I hadn't done this kind of hunting before. She has a Bluetick that she hunts with. So I figured if there was a chance of them getting very sick, many wouldn't hunt them.

Thanks for the input guys!