HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Help me pick a dog ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/6983-help-me-pick-dog.html)

stealthycat 02-27-2002 11:36 AM

Help me pick a dog !

I am in the process of finishing a 6' privacy fence in my back yard (cedar). Upon completion, I have promised to get my 2 1/2 year old little girl a puppy. I have a 4 month old son too. Plus, I want a dog too. I live in a small rural neighborhood, big back yard, and we can take the dog for plenty of walks and play. Also, I have 80 acres in a very rural area that we go to every other weekend and the dog will go too.

That said, I want a smaller dog, a friendly family dog but one that bristles and barks at strangers too. At the same time, I want an intelligent dog, not some wortless, idiot dog. What do ya'll suggest ? My wife wants an Austrailian Shepherd, and I think its not a bad choice, certainly smart enough, but wanted to throw around some options none the less. I live for bowhunting, but I miss the squirrel hunting days and the sound of beagles running rabbits. No, beagles aren't an option either ! I love 'em, I really do, but they just got too much nose and not enough smarts for an all around great dog I think !!

Also, I aint into bird hunting at all. I know, its almost blasphemy living in central Arkansas and all, just never got into it !

Edited by - stealthycat on 02/27/2002 12:40:12

LOVE MY LABXS 02-27-2002 12:00 PM

RE: Help me pick a dog !

Sounds to me for what you're asking of a dog you probably can get it all in the little shepard. They are very smart small in size and I think that when you show one what you want to hunt it will more than likely do it. There not really hunting dogs but the ones I've been around seem to want to please alot. Just my $.02

CALL EM IN CLOSE AND SHOOT THEM IN THE EYES

Buck Boy 02-27-2002 01:44 PM

I dont really know what dog would be the best choice.....but i have a German shorthair pointer and he is great. smart, friendly, eager to please, and abuot 55-70 pounds they get. I wouldn't reccomend an Australian Shepeard because if i'm not mistaken they can have a temper. Our friends have one and all it does is attack people. It bit me in the face once and i still have a scar above my lip. I'd look them up and get more info on them from owners and breeders. Good Luck

Buck Boy

stealthycat 02-27-2002 01:56 PM

Buck Boy - My wife was raised with Blue Heelers (Austrailian cattle dogs). Hers was VERY protective, absolutely loyal but even snippy to her at times. A bitey dog he was, but I did like him - not good with kids though.

beej99 02-27-2002 02:42 PM

Get a mutt. if you are not using the pup for anything except companionship, I would choose a pound dog. You get your choice, costs less, saves a life, and if it is a mutt, they usually carry the good traits of all the different breeds it has in it.
beej

CDover 02-27-2002 08:42 PM

The only problem I see with a Aussie dog is they are working dogs like a Border and they are very very busy. I mean they need to do something not good at laying around. Just a thought....They can get nerotic....

ShortHair 02-27-2002 11:39 PM

beej99 said it all Bro. Go to the pound and rescue a mutt. Save a dog that would otherwise be put to death if you are not in need of a hunting dog.
My little girls dog came from the pound and is a much better pet than my GSP,who I love dearly.

amitydeerslayer 02-28-2002 12:59 AM

I have an Aussie Mix and he is a great dog. Very smart and very protective. With young kids though I don't think I could reccommend them because he is not good with kids.(he is mixed with a Springer Spaniel) so I'm assuming this kid shyness comes from the Aussie side. He is definitely a one person/family dog. My friends nick named my dog, "demon dog", becaus he doesn't really like them too much, they'd never guess that he is just a big baby, lol!

Schnauzers are great with kids and good guard dogs too. I had a Golden Retriever when I was growing up and it was the best dog, I've ever had, but it is a large dog though. ;)

Tree climber 02-28-2002 01:46 AM

if a beagle is out,( and I disagree about smarts,they are very,very smart if worked with)the next pick would be a Jack Russel terrier.
Jack's are small,smart,and very gritty.
just my 2 cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

oregonhunter 02-28-2002 07:19 AM

I agree with beej as well, go with the mutt.

Tree climber---Jack Russel's are great dogs, but holy cow, you'd better hold on, cause they are gonna take you for a ride! I've never been around a more hyperactive dog. Great if you are active and it has some room to operate, but not so sure it would be a good intro pup for kids.

Just my two cents.

Chad