Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New lab pup & training questions >

New lab pup & training questions

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New lab pup & training questions

Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 PM

Default New lab pup & training questions

Yesterday I bought an AKC black lab female, she's 6 weeks old and of course she's the cutest pup there is!! I need some advice on training for a pet and also for hunting, any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to crate-train her for the first while until she's old enough to be able to sleep on a bed durring the night and big enough to be in the back yard with the bigger dogs. I put her in her crate as soon as she's done eating and when she starts to whine real bad then I let her outside until she goes to the bathroom. But then again.. she doesn't really like being locked in there so she whines quite a bit. Right now the door to the crate is open, but she's just wondering around my room looking for a cool place to lay (which I guess right now is underneath my chair). Has anybody crate-trained their dog- and if so, what is the best way to go about this?

That's my main question right now... I guess more will come with time! Again, any comments and/or suggestions are really apprecaited! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New lab pup & training questions

Crate Training: Go to www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm

For General Training, go to www.coonriverkennels.com and order "Smartwork", by Evan Graham.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention, one of the best things you can do is to join a Hunting Retriever Club. We have one right in Spokane. We have training days, picnic tests as well as Field Tests.

Although our "dog season" is just about over for this year, we are having one more Field Test this season (before hunting seasons start). We will be holding a Field Test on August 28 - 29.

Go to www.sbda.itgo.com for details, and a map/directions on how to get there. You should try to spectate so you can see what our dogs are really capable of doing, and what you can strive for in your training. Spectators are admitted for FREE !
Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the best thing you can first train your dog! Congrats on your new puppy, everyone has different ideas on how to train your dog because each dog has a different personality, find your new puppys personality and then find training techniques that fit! Good luck,
Old 08-18-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks Doc!! I'll have to try to check that out!

Turkey Fan- She has a really strong personality and we're getting along perfect, she's the first dog that's been completely mine since I live on my own now and it's a whole lot of work but she's more then worth it!

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 PM

I have a 2 year old yellow lab. I crate trained hiim to start as well, mostly for house breaking. For puppies in general take them outside right after eating, I promise they will do their business within 5 min. or less, take them outside every two or three hours in general. Once you get them to go #1 and #2 outside a few times they get the picture. When you can not pay close attention to the pup you should keep them in the cage, messing in the house once can destroy a weeks worth of training. Catching the pup one time going in the house, yelling no, picking them up and taking them outside to finish, then petting and praising them is worth two weeks of training. Labs are smarter than you think, don't give them an inch or they will find a way to run all over you! Enjoy.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Suggest getting Jackie Merten's "Sound Beginnings". VERY good video for developing your young lab. Too folks make the mistake of not working with their lab from day one. Get them on birds young.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 AM

Good post I agree. Pups can learn much more and much earlier than most folks think. We started training the day after our pup was brought home, by 12 weeks he performed all basic obedience commands (sit, stay, down, leave it, speak), we worked with him training for about 5 min. then playing for 15 or 20 min off and on for about 2 hours every day. Labs are very intelligent and love to please a rewarding master.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

You have received some excellent advice from the others on this forum; I would just add the following:

My wife and I breed dogs (not hunting dogs, but this would apply to any dog) and we feel very strongly about taking the puppy to puppy classes as soon as they have had their rabies shot. It teaches basic obedience but, more importantly, it teaches the dog to be around strangers and other dogs of different breeds and sizes. We feel strongly enough about this that we provide a gift certificate in our "Puppy Packet" to the local dog school for our local buyers.

We also feel it is important to get the puppy used to being on its back and being touched on every part of its body. And I mean EVERY part. You never know when your dog may be injured and that dog has to have complete trust in you to touch her, wherever the injury may be.

Congrats and good luck with your new pal!

Bruce
Old 08-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IDRedneckGirl

Thanks Doc!! I'll have to try to check that out!

Thanks again!
Casey boy and I will be running in the Senior Division this weekend. If you make it over to spectate, please look us up. BTW, Casey only needs one more pass for his Master Hunting Retriever (MHR) title -- would love for you (and me) to see him do it.

Quick Reply: New lab pup & training questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.