Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Normal, or is my puppy sick??? >

Normal, or is my puppy sick???

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Normal, or is my puppy sick???

Old 08-08-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Normal, or is my puppy sick???

Im a first time dog owner so I'm still catching on to what is normal and what isnt, but here goes........I have a female black lab, just over 4 months. I can almost always count on that once every couple of weeks she will throw up. She hadnt thrown up for about 3 weeks then last night she ate at 7pm and around 10 pm she threw up a stomach full. Well there are always a variety of other things in here stomach besides food...wood, string, rubber bands, and things I dont know what they are. No matter how well I watch her, everything goes in her mouth. Last night she found a can of mountain dew and drank some of it, wondering if this was why she threw up, is it like chocalate to her (bad). Anyway, I'm wondering if throwing up on occasion is normal for a puppy, simply because of everything they chew and eat or try to eat, or should i be concerned. My vet said I shouldnt be concerned unless she is doing it frequently because then something is wrong and dehydration is an issue. Normally after she throws up she is ready to eat or drink if offered and ready to play.
Is this normal and I'm over reacting or is something wrong here?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Normal, or is my puppy sick???

If you have her on any worm medicine it is common for them the throw-up for awhile. Make sure you watch and make sure she doesn't eat the crap you've been seeing in her. I'm sure she'll be fine. Oh by the way nice choice of dogs.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 AM

I have a few dogs and one is a sort of a LAB,PIT,ROTT,SHEPARD MIX THAT LOOKS LIKE CLIFFORD. and he'll eat what he can get his paws on then he'll go puke and be ready to play and eat all over again. And he's fine. Every Lab thats been in the family has ate weird stuff
rocks,purses,money,couches, and especially WOOD. I think everything in the house made of wood has at least one chew spot in it. So if you can keep her away from the truly bad stuff you should be fine.

cichliddan
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 PM

I have a yellow lab, he went through the same phase. He is about 2 yr. now and has mostly stopped eating the weird stuff. If you feed her table food be careful, many things we eat will upset their stomach. Check out this page, it has a list of things that are bad for your dog, some may suprise you.

[link]http://huntersheart.com/poison.html[/link]
Old 08-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Caffiene is toxic to dogs so keep the pup away from anything containing it which, I believe Mountain dew does. Aside from that most labs, mine eats grass and sometimes eats too much that leads to his breakfast winding up on the carpet, will go through that from time to time.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a lab to me. They love to chew.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:30 AM

I forgot to ask, how many times are you feeding her a day? Our vet recomended breaking the meal up into two to three servings per day until they are at least over one year old. We fed ours morning and evening, it seemed that he was choking the food down as fast as he could with only one serving which usually led to at least part of the meal comming back up shortly afterward. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

We ran into an issue with cheap rubber dog toys that our Lab would play with. As he would tear small pieces off, he would swallow them. When the small peices of rubber mixed with his stomach acid, the rubber would transform from soft and plyable to hard, sharp plastic. This would irratate his stomach and as a result would yack on the floor.

He now only has stuffed toys, rope toys, tennis balls, training bouys