Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

which breeds best

Old 07-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default which breeds best

Want a dog thats friendly around kids and would have the abilities to follow a blood trail and easy to train, was thinking of a yellow lab, what do you think?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: which breeds best

a small Beagle would work great on all counts.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:04 PM

I love Labs!

They are great around children and I have been reading on the training of blood-trailing. I guess it is possible with the Labs. Good luck in your search.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Typical Buck

Labs are great dogs, but when it comes to blood-trailing, nothing beats a bloodhound!! They love everybody and when it comes to training them to track a blood trail, there's very little training, if any. Its bred into them. I've used my older bloodhound to find a lost deer and all it took was me to put his nose to the spot where I shot it. I had looked for this deer for over 3 hours and it took him about 35 minutes to find it. They're amazing!! [8D]
Old 07-29-2004, 10:32 AM

the dog of your choice should be a drathaar.I seen one in action and decided i had to have one.They have to pass extremly hard tests in order to be able to breed them.one of those tests happens to be blood trailing.My drathaar is 7 months old and is very good with the kids we have a 3 month old baby and my puppy is very good with her i can even lay her ontop of him and he wont move so he dont hurt her.
the drathaar is awesome with waterfowl or upland game as well as rabbits.if you have any more questions you can email me at [email protected]
Old 08-03-2004, 03:51 PM

If you want a true senses of great versatile hunting dogs, you can't conclude your searc until you have looked at the Weimaraners. They are a great breed, all the way around.
They were originally used to bring down wounded big-game in Germany and have evolved to great bird dogs. They are still used in Europe for blood trails with Deer, Elk, Boar and others. But I have hunted waterfowl and every upland gamebird with them my whole life, and nothing can beat them.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:57 PM

beagle or walker hound
Old 08-04-2004, 12:36 PM

Bloodhound without a dought
Old 08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Beagles are nice dogs. I grew up with them. But they are a like slamming your head against a wall to train properly. They smell a rabbit and they could be in the next county. Labs are ranked number 2 behind Newfounlands with kids and are one of the easiest dogs to train. Labradors are the way to go.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I love labs they are great around kids and no other breed can match them on waterfowl (check the records on Field Champions and you'll see what I mean) . For trailing I dunno? Maybe. You can train them to do just about anything. Though for pure trailing I think a bloodhound would be the number one choice. They have wonderful personalities as well.

Quick Reply: which breeds best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.