HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Nasty Eyes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/67070-nasty-eyes.html)

racksnbeards 07-24-2004 10:49 PM

Nasty Eyes

My redbone has just started to get nasty green (duck poo) slimy stuff around his eye's Ive never had a dog get this and was wondering if it is something that I can control, with a medicine or home remedy.

racksnbeards 07-25-2004 07:59 PM

RE: Nasty Eyes

A little more detail, I clean them everyday and it's coming back but not as bad, his eyes look really watery with this. Anyone have an idea what might cause this.

Doc E 07-25-2004 08:14 PM

What does your Vet say aout it? When it comes to eyes (vision), you should definitely be seeing a Vet instead of trying to get a diagnosis and treatmetn plan over the net. [:o][:-][&o]

robdar 07-26-2004 07:00 AM

The Reds, typically have a bit more loose skin in and about the face are sometimes prone to getting dirt and other contaminants in the red fleshy area around the eyes. The fact that their lids have a "looser fit" around the eye like the bloodhound, which is why in many you see the red fleshy tissue around the eye makes them prone to eye infections and irritations. The reds we have had here in the rescue have all had this same condition. The advice from our vet was as follows: If the eye itself is not puffy, red, or appears uncomfortable to the dog, and there is no swelling...first try cleaning the eye with a warm rag and some over the counter eye wash two to three times a day for a day or two and see if condition improves. If not it is time for a trip to the vet.
RobDar's HoundSong Rescue

BLKLAB 07-26-2004 01:34 PM

mY LAB HAD SOMETHING SIMILAR ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO. I TOOK HIM TO THE VET HE CHECKED FOR CATARAX AND THEN GAVE ME SOME EYE DROPS. HE SIAD IT WOULD TAKE A WEEK TO CLEAR UP. IT DID IN A COUPLE DAYS. HE ALSO SAID IF IT DOES IT AGAIN TO RINSE HIS EYES OUT WITH EYE WASH. IT LOOKED LIKE ALLERGIES

GOOD LUCK

johnch 07-26-2004 03:14 PM

My lab suffers from algerys , vet told me to give him benadrill .But ask the vet if ok and dose.

T/C fan! 07-27-2004 12:24 AM

I have two bloodhounds and have had the same problem. After a trip to the vet, he prescribed an ointment called Vetropolycin HC. For the first week, I applied it 3-4 times a day until it cleared up. Now, I apply it once a week and have not had any problems since.

racksnbeards 07-27-2004 07:28 PM

I'd been cleaning them and today it was gone, of course the weather the last couple days has really changed, which makes me think it was allergy's. I also got to thinking I wormed him about a week before it started so it my have been some sort of reaction. If it starts back up I'll go the vet.

USMC PMI 08-12-2004 05:32 AM

I didn't see tha age but if it is a puppy this is common. Our vet told us that young pups do not have full control of their tear ducts. Our lab and non-sporting dog (Great Dane) both had either crustly eyes or sometimes the goopy stuff, esp. in the morning. To be safe I would also recommend at least calling your vet and asking them about it.

TURKEY FAN 08-12-2004 01:33 PM

Over the counter eye drops work fine