Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Labrador Coat

Old 07-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Labrador Coat

I use Science Diet exclusively for my lab and coon hound. I feed the adult large breed. It costs more but they eat less. They digest more of it, and less comes out the back end. If you look at the protein level on it, it is not overly high. Dogs can only digest 24-26% protein. So if you buy 28% or higher, it goes out the back end. Waste of money, and of your backyard/kennel.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Dogs can only digest 24-26% protein. So if you buy 28% or higher, it goes out the back end. Waste of money, and of your backyard/kennel.
Not always true. It has been shown that a HARD WORKING dog can utilize up to 40% protein.

I *think* Science Diet has corn as the first ingredient -- or else it contains soybean. Look at your label and let me know. Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Doc's post on raw eggs is right on the money. More than likely the cause of the poor coat is the food. Switch to a higher quality food and in a few weeks you should see mark improvement. The first four ingrediants should have have two meat sources of protein. Avoid foods with corn and wheat, there is a high rate of reactions with foods containing them.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 PM

Yes i will check out the corn thing. I have heard of that before. I didn't see any of your top food brands at Farm and home. Do you have to purchase them online??? lol, where do you purchase yours?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

Yes i will check out the corn thing. I have heard of that before. I didn't see any of your top food brands at Farm and home. Do you have to purchase them online??? lol, where do you purchase yours?
I feed Eagle Pack. Go to www.eaglepack.com They have a 'dealer locator' link on their site.

As long as a dog isn't allergic to corn, there's nothing wrong with it as an ingredient. You just don't want corn as the first ingredient. Soybeans contain a lot of protein, that most animals can utilize quite well, the problem is that dogs don't utilize soy protein well at all.

Recent research shows that 30% protein dog food reduces injuries.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Yes i found that locator on the site and it told me to go to Farm and Home, I went there, and they didn't have it. I will keep looking, and i will check out the ingredients today! thanks for all of your patience.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

Yes i found that locator on the site and it told me to go to Farm and Home, I went there, and they didn't have it. I will keep looking, and i will check out the ingredients today! thanks for all of your patience.
Talk to them -- if they are an authorized dealer, they can order it.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:21 PM

I use Science Diet exclusively for my lab and coon hound. I feed the adult large breed. It costs more but they eat less.
That is one reason that I use Science Diet for my lab.

DocE- the first ingredient is corn meal on it FYI.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:29 PM

I agree, science diet is a good brand
Old 07-19-2004, 04:21 PM

I can take an old leather shoe and some motor oil and get the nutrient analysis to read 30% protein. what is important is how much of the nutrients the dog can digest. i have fed my dog both Diamond and Science diet- he eats and poops alot less on the Science Diet, so he must be digesting and absorbing it better.