Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Recomended Food for a 60lb Black Lab? >

Recomended Food for a 60lb Black Lab?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Recomended Food for a 60lb Black Lab?

Old 03-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recomended Food for a 60lb Black Lab?

A couple months ago, I made a post about my black lab having a bit of dandruff. DocE suggested I switch to a better food.

What food do you ppl suggest for my lab?
Old 03-20-2004, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Recomended Food for a 60lb Black Lab?

Purina Pro Plan or One are both good foods. I also supplement with a tablespoon of vegtable oil once a week and a scrambled egg every other.
My dog will be two the end of next month and is 78lbs & in great shape. Brushing every week with a rubber horse brush is also good. Dog loves it and I've always been under the opinion it helps skin and coat.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:34 AM

I agree with you Ruddy. Dog loves it because it feels good like a massage. The oil is a good idea also ask a vet and he will probably tell you the same thing unless he sells one of the high priced brands. The eggs too are ok but I don't believe is totally necessary. Just make sure that the eggs are scrambled (cooked) because there is something in eggs that will prevent (some dogs) from absorbing the vitamins etc from their other foods. A vet told me this once but it was a long time ago and don't remember exactly what his reasons were.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dog "A" might do best on one food, where as Dog "B" might do better on a different food. Different dogs do better or worse on some brands than others. I feed Casey Eagle Pack, because he does very well on it. If a dog does a high amount of work, you need to go with a food that's at least 30% protein and 20% fat. Usually if you're feeding a high quality food, "oil supplementation" shouldn't be needed. If you are going to supplement with oil, Flax Seed Oil or Fish Oil are the "healthiest".

BTW, raw eggs cause a Biotin deficiency, so as drgildy said, make sure the whites are cooked.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

I feed Purina ONE. Iused to feed my previous dogs Purina Pro Plan. Both are very good foods. I switched to ONE because they sell it in grocery stores where as PRO PLAN is only sold in pet stores or at the vets office. I have had good results with both.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your responses. Nitro is not a working dog, but he does get his exercise. I think my wife and I might start working Pro Plan into his meals.

Thanks again,

BJ