Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

just got my dog

Old 12-22-2003, 06:08 PM

Default RE: just got my dog

Will the nose turn black too the nose is pinkish now. tanish..... Also if i bring him into the dove field what should i do to get him accustomed to the birds and retreiving what do yalllllllll susgest.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Blue eyes are a recessive trait in all dogs that are normally brown eyed. let's see some pics...Is it just normal yellow or is it white/red/cream?

IF it flies, it dies...or if it runs...swims...jumps...oh heck if it tastes good best shoot it and eat it...don't eat them liberals though (tough and stringy taste a little Gorey)...
Old 12-23-2003, 08:33 AM

Take the time and get a book on puppies and retriever training from the library--more dogs get screwed up by incorrect training than anything!

Good luck on your Christmas puppy.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM

I got too books today.... Water Dog and 10 minute retreiver.... Ok as soon as i put a collor and lease on the dog he goes crazy...............also is 7 weeks too early to start with sit command.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:51 AM

Will I have to be honest with you.

I think you shouldve bought a started or finished dog because you dont seem to have the patience to understand thats its a pup and it could be 2 years before he starts to really shine !

Go get a good training book and stick to it. Nobody said it would be easy and happen overnight
Old 12-23-2003, 10:55 AM

and for what its worth

I have the "Gun Dog" book by Wohlters and didnt care for it too much. Something about purposefully hitting a dog until it yelps or cries that I dont think belongs in training. There are other ways to teach the pup who's in charge and the leader of the pack.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:29 AM

I know what you are going through. (still fresh) I got a 7week old chessie 6 weeks ago. only in the last couple of weeks have I really worked on the obedience commands. I read all about dogs working at 10 weeks old... but I really felt my time was better spent house training, and those things first.

Like your dog, mine had attention span issues. I tried working with him occasionally, then one day he really started to respond. He then picked up sit and down very quickly, and things are really moving along now, with light training sessions often.

I agree with using food treats in the beginning to train, the results can be amazing. Sometimes however a hungry dog will only focus on getting that damn treat out of your hand instead of doing the task you want. Will jump at your hand instead of sitting and such things.

Wolters is a bit abusive, and most of his books are decades old when this was "less" looked down on. Personally I go with all things in moderation. I would rather use all positive methods, but that doesnt' always work. My pup turned into the devil and tried to remove your arm if you would try to lead him by his collar (I've never heard an animal make noises like that). I took a rather "stern" approach and he quit doing that to me. My wife put up with it for about a week longer than me, then she put him in his place as well and it has not been a problem since.

Training at 7 weeks when you have only had the dog for a couple days should be difficult, the dog doesn't know you and has no reason to trust you yet. Build the bond, house break it, and look for the pup to be ready for further work. Enjoy it while it is a pup.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:14 PM

I am working on the sit and i have been doing it for only 2 or so days he is catching on. The really only words i think he might sorty know is sit and NO.. he dont even know his name. I will contiune to work daily with him.. I am not looking for a world class retreiver. I am looking for a life long companion. Some one to take in to the dove field. and someone i can bring to my hunting club and around town without worring. i dont plan on wistle calls and blind competion retrieves. do u see what i am saying..
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 PM

willbjew,

I have been through this with my puppy. She is now 2 years old. I tried the Wolters appraoch. It did not work for my pup. Please remember, this guy was a pro and these methods were used multiple times a day. For those of us who have a limited amount of time for training, this is what I have come up with...

Read as many books as you can.
Use what works for you AND your pup only, from each training aid.
BE PATIENT.

It is my opinion that unless you are a professional trainer, keep it fun for a very long time. Like a child, a pup has a short attention span. 5 to 10 minutes 1 to 2 times a day is plenty for the first couple of weeks. Build a bond with your pup. YOU should be the one who feeds, waters, walks, etc. your pup to reinforce this bond.

Good Luck!

OhioDuckHunter
Old 12-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with OhioDuckHunter. keep the sessions short and frequent. I posted a reply to your message here and some how it got sent to your question about crate training so if you want to see what else I have to say about training him you can go there and see . Good Luck With Your New Buddy.