Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 What National Championship is considered the best to win??? >

What National Championship is considered the best to win???

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What National Championship is considered the best to win???

Old 12-18-2003, 07:58 PM

Default What National Championship is considered the best to win???

I am considering the purchase of a phesant hunting dog for Ohio and the Midwest states. My question is when looking at the most successful bloodline, what National Championships are the best to have in a bloodline and what if any make one better than the other?? I don't plan at the moment to do any competition trials but may sometime later. I just want a very good bloodline with National Champion bloodline. Thanks Everyone
Old 12-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What National Championship is considered the best to win???

What breed(s) are you interested in?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:08 PM

I am considering maybe a Brittany or German Shorthair Pointer
Old 12-18-2003, 08:12 PM

I would not over look a good proven pleasure dog some of the best and hardest hunting dogs i have ever owned and hunted with were not field trail dogs but off of excellent pleasure dogs. Also alot of the time you run into high strung dogs that are hard to handle when you get into field trail blood. Watch the sire and dam work before purchasing any pup and make your decision from that
Old 12-19-2003, 04:39 AM

If you are interested primarily in hunting, you want to look for hunt test titles, MH=Master Hunter etc.

If you want to hunt and participate in field trials, look for FC, NFC, AFC, NAFC, CFC, CNFC, etc.

Are you looking for a pointing dog or a flushing dog? Most people overlook the flushing dogs, but I prefer these. Both Labs and Springers are good companions in the home and in the field for flushing. Try the following links for information on a couple of recommended breeders. Good Luck.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/1415/index.html
http://www.guadairakennels.com
Old 12-21-2003, 03:18 PM

Thanks Guys, I have had a Brittany in the past and liked the way the dog worked and she didn't range normally more 50 yards in front. I felt this was fine due to the thick cover we would hunt. I primarly am interested in a good bloodline and want the best hunting and pointing breed.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:47 PM

If you are leaning more towards a Brittany, Have you ever heard of the French Brittany or Epagneul Breton as it is now registered with the UKC.

If you were like us and have had good and bad brittanies in the past, you really might want to look into the French Brittanies.

We currently have a black and white female French Brittany that we will campaign in shoot to retreive trials, probably NASTRA.
The trainer we sent her to, first didn't want to train her because she was a Brittany, but when her got her and started training her he fell in love. He is raising pointers and shorthairs. Now he has bought two female puppies out of her already! He says she is a one in a million, Normally this wouldn't mean that much, but he bought two of her puppies for his breeding and training program at $650.00 each. That tells me he has a lot of faith in her.
If you need more info on the breed please contact us