HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Male or Fermale Black Lab (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/46712-male-fermale-black-lab.html)

willbjew 12-18-2003 05:59 PM

Male or Fermale Black Lab

Should i get a male or female lab. What are the charactersitcs of each. I have had a female black lab but was not trained. Will the male wonder. Or what are the adantantages of each. Which will be easer to train. and be a good overall dog.

willbjew 12-18-2003 06:20 PM

RE: Male or Fermale Black Lab

I know females go in heat what do the males do.

OhioDuckHunter 12-18-2003 06:24 PM

I love my females.

I have many friends who will only own males because of the conflict possibilities of heat cycles and field trials.

That is the only difference in my opinion. Once you form a bond with your dog, it really does not matter. I have heard the males are hard headed sometimes.

OhioDuckHunter

nmarro 12-18-2003 07:13 PM

i have a chac female, she is great..she is a little more aggressive than some males, and is a really great dog. she is small about 55 lbs, and can last all day in the field. hte only default of a female is when they go in heat, sometimes its hard hunting around otehr males, but that wasnt a problem for me this year it seemed most of the otehr dogs didnt care much the distance i was hunting. the reason i descided to get a female, is because they are much smaller. also not all females will go in heat during the season, it depends when it is. its hard to say if you get a male if he will sneak off. i had a male, and i couldnt contain him he use to climb my fences, and take off. he was primarely fine on the field though. i like my female, i think she is a perfect size, and is great.

willbjew 12-19-2003 09:31 AM

What is a Small size lab weight wise and a medinum and then a large. Are males always larger. I think i am getting a male black lab but i am not sure

willbjew 12-19-2003 09:32 AM

If you get the male fixed will he still have this problem of wondering and running away

j3k2c1 12-19-2003 03:01 PM

I've got a female white-lab and if you ask me she is the best thing out there as a gundog and pet. males as I understand from my reading tend to have dominance issues and are really stubborn.

willbjew 12-19-2003 05:21 PM

I just got back from looking at some 3 week old browns and blacks man them things are little. I am going tommerow to look at a white lab. male. I am glad i could find what i wanted. Thanks for the help

George W. bush

OhioDuckHunter 12-20-2003 09:19 AM

I have 2 black females. One is large at 90 pounds. The other is small at 65 pounds. Hope this helps.

Get the Duck!

Idaho hunter 58 12-20-2003 03:14 PM

I have a big old yellow lab. Probabley around 80-90 pounds (haven't checked for a while, and he is still growing!!!) He is extremely hard headed, but extremely loyal, and will not let a "suspicious character" get close! lol. Great around kids, and (most) people. I have never seen such a protective dog of kids either... Some people have mentioned wandering, I have never had this problem. We have a big ol' fenced in section of the yard/trees, and then about 2 acres of yard and what not and then 3 neighbors touching our property. We can let him out of the pen and go inside, and he'll just go lay out on the grass, or goof around on our property. Never have to worry about him running off.