Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Couple Of Questions

Old 01-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Couple Of Questions

Im going to be getting a lab in a few days. i was wondering how you would recommend going about potty training.

Also he is going to be a hunter, is it ok to feed him food with meat in it?
Old 01-04-2002, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Couple Of Questions

There is alot of info available on the internet on this topic.
Crate training was the process i found to work best.

Not only is your dog going to be happy in his own area, But it keeps the dog safe when there is no one at home.

If someone was to break into my house, he is crated and has half a chance of being unharmed. Just be cause he is a big dog doesnt mean that he is a gaurd dog.

Good luck, Its pretty painful at first, but it will work out in the end.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with txBrian.
My pup was crated and still is when we aren't home. It was a little painful at first. I felt sorry for the lttle guy but It made house training pretty easy and the dog gets used to being in his kennel. They pretty much sleep all day anyway. I make sure I go home at lunch and let him out for a while. When he was younger he got fed at lunch as well. Try not to leave the dog in the crate for longer than 4-5 hrs at a time.
When you are home, take the pup out atleast once every hour or so and give it a command like "get busy" or something. Pretty soon he or she will start to get the hang of it.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Spike

SM, I've got a 9 week old female yellow lab, and I've almost got her housebroken. Keeping them in a crate is a good idea. They won't use the bathroom where they sleep. Getting them to use the bathroom while they're outside instead of inside is more work. Always take them out the same door and to the same place. Don't turn it into a game either. Take them directly to the spot and let them do their thing. After a while they'll catch on. It took mine about a week. Some take longer though.

Here's a picture of my pup.http://4dw.net/dmbtrading/Haley/8wee...ntaildecoy.jpg

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:39 PM

Don't worry about crating the little guy. My Rotti/Lab X loves his travel crate. It's his place to go to be alone. One day the door to the crate was opened at 0930, the dog didn't budge until 1:30. Use a treat to get him to go in there. I use to use a cheese slice, after a while even making a sandwich when the dog heard the plastic, zoom in his kennel, head out looking for his treat.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:52 AM

Meat is necessary for a healthy dog. Yogurt gives a waterdog a very shiney coat or a little oil in the food from time to time. I have heard from my friends with labs not wash them to much during the first year. Overwashing will stunt the development of the glands that produce the oil for thier coat. Something every waterdog needs.
Just a few tips. I'm GSP man myself and mine is a pretty good waterdog in her own right. That's Gretta in the picture doing what she does best.