Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
How many love to hunt with a tree dog? >

How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Old 11-30-2019, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Love to hunt with a dog! I have an original MT
Cur squirrel dog. ' lucie 'She's a dandy tree dog, and my best friend to boot!! I use to coon hunt, but at 70 yrs old, I had to slow down a little. I've had walkers, blueticks, but the best breed I've had for coon and squirrel are MT curs. I had an excellent MT Cur coon dog, ' bandit' and 2 great Mr Cur squirrel dogs. Mollie, and Lucie. And I love to talk about tree dogs, would love to hear about your dogs and hunts !!
Old 11-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
and I can agree, not much better in life than watching a good dog do what nature wanted it to do
However, I never did much tree dog hunting, be it squirrels, coons, or other things
as to be honest I don;t care to eat any of that stuff, and don't shoot things I don't eat, or have others that want

But I have many many many great memories of my bird dogs over pheasants and other upland game in some picture perfect places over the yrs, that I will cherish till the day I pass on!
and still miss them dogs that passed on!

its a joy that those that never hunted over there best friend/dog, will never understand I think and a its shame too!
there missing out on something pure and natural and amazing at times to watch them work with there noses
NO toy or play time will ever compare , to seeing them do what they were made to do! IMO!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you on the bird dogs. It's special to watch.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Spike

Default Tree dog

Thanks for the welcome mrbb. I've never had bird dogs, but I know I'd enjoy it just as much as my tree dogs. Your right, there's a special bond between the hunter and his dog,!!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 PM
Spike

I'm planning to take a new puppy in my family and I'm planning to grow it as a hunter dog. Which breed can you suggest?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM
Spike

I have a 5 mo old brindle cur male that I'm hoping loves to chase squirrels as much as my 8yr old son. Haven't really chased them much in the last 30 years after I discovered bowhunting. However, now that I've taken the boy and he is ate up with it, I figured I'd get back into it. We are definitely in a target rich area as they are literally everywhere. Care to give any tips on training or getting the dog started? I've never hunted them with a dog.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Papeiporp
I'm planning to take a new puppy in my family and I'm planning to grow it as a hunter dog. Which breed can you suggest?

What are you planning to hunt? That question has to be answered before you chose a breed. I use my dogs to hunt birds, I sued to use flushing dogs, Labrador retrievers, Now I hunt over a pointing breed for the last 13 years, English setters. Different breeds have different purposes and uses. I think you need to decide what you want to hunt and research the breeds that will do the job.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wise advice.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite type of hunting is flushing, I work the hedgerows, thickets, and brush piles. No telling what is going to pop out of there, Pheasant, Hare, Fox, Coon or whatever. Two approaches, a good nose dog or a naturally busy dog. I have a Plummer Terrier now, good nose, an active hunter, aggressive, a real go-getter. Hunting drive and aggression are usually two things you can't teach, but you can encourage them. My Plummer will eat Hedgehogs if I let him.
A lot of game will dig in and hide hoping you will pass them by. IMO for every game animal, you see there is at least one other close by that is hiding, often more than one.
The beast Squirrel dog I ever had was of all things a German Shepard, he was also a good Rabbit dog. My philosophy has always been to figure out what your dog is good at and hunt that, instead of trying to diligently train a dog to hunt what YOU want. Heck I'm flexible. Most dogs are born with a set of talents and urges, why not adapt?
I have another dog that is half Jack Russel and half Plummer. She is a born earth dog and will head down any available burrow. She was born with the urge.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I'm a versatile pointing dog guy. Judged fiekd tests for about 20 yrs for an doggy organization.. I use mine for both upland and waterfowl and do have one trained to blood track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.