Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
How many love to hunt with a tree dog? >

How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Old 11-30-2019, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default How many love to hunt with a tree dog?

Love to hunt with a dog! I have an original MT
Cur squirrel dog. ' lucie 'She's a dandy tree dog, and my best friend to boot!! I use to coon hunt, but at 70 yrs old, I had to slow down a little. I've had walkers, blueticks, but the best breed I've had for coon and squirrel are MT curs. I had an excellent MT Cur coon dog, ' bandit' and 2 great Mr Cur squirrel dogs. Mollie, and Lucie. And I love to talk about tree dogs, would love to hear about your dogs and hunts !!
Old 11-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
and I can agree, not much better in life than watching a good dog do what nature wanted it to do
However, I never did much tree dog hunting, be it squirrels, coons, or other things
as to be honest I don;t care to eat any of that stuff, and don't shoot things I don't eat, or have others that want

But I have many many many great memories of my bird dogs over pheasants and other upland game in some picture perfect places over the yrs, that I will cherish till the day I pass on!
and still miss them dogs that passed on!

its a joy that those that never hunted over there best friend/dog, will never understand I think and a its shame too!
there missing out on something pure and natural and amazing at times to watch them work with there noses
NO toy or play time will ever compare , to seeing them do what they were made to do! IMO!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with you on the bird dogs. It's special to watch.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Spike

Default Tree dog

Thanks for the welcome mrbb. I've never had bird dogs, but I know I'd enjoy it just as much as my tree dogs. Your right, there's a special bond between the hunter and his dog,!!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 PM
Spike

I'm planning to take a new puppy in my family and I'm planning to grow it as a hunter dog. Which breed can you suggest?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM
Spike

I have a 5 mo old brindle cur male that I'm hoping loves to chase squirrels as much as my 8yr old son. Haven't really chased them much in the last 30 years after I discovered bowhunting. However, now that I've taken the boy and he is ate up with it, I figured I'd get back into it. We are definitely in a target rich area as they are literally everywhere. Care to give any tips on training or getting the dog started? I've never hunted them with a dog.