Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Anyone use Turkey dogs

Old 05-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default Anyone use Turkey dogs

Was wondering if anyone does what breed you use and how you go about training them I have heard of anything from most of the brid dogs to airdales and some of the cur dogs
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using dogs for Turkey isn't allowed by me, but i had a female Airedale, Gypsy, that was a natural for Turkeys. She used to flush them to me, point and find them all the time, she had a knack for Turkeys. I never trained her on birds, she was a coon, squirrel dog.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen guys using a few different types of breeds, even mutt's
I think it comes down to the dogs desire and training, and well, some good blood lines I am sure wouldn;t hurt here,

its ONLY legal here in the fall turkey season.

seems like it can be a fun way to hunt them, as I like watching dogs at work.

But never did it!

I'd look into this more maybe on the NWTF site, sure there are some die hards there doing it with a lot of info!
Old 05-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Spike

Ok thanks I have to take a look at them
Old 05-14-2017, 05:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

In Wisconsin we can use dogs in the fall.
In the Spring I have used my dogs to track wounded birds a few times.
I just can't see letting them rot.

A true turkey dog will find the flock and scatter them quickly. Then bark while doing so.
Thus the hunter gets to that spot and settles in for all to go quiet and lost call the flock or lonely birds back together.
It's fun. Another way to hunt.

Dave......JW
Old 05-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Spike

What kind do you use
Old 05-15-2017, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have a turkey dog that I trained myself, she is a dropper (pointer/setter mix), I named her Maizy. Any bird dog that will scatter birds and bark on the flush will work, but most guys use either boykins or droppers. Not a whole lot of training involved beside general obedience and teaching the dog to sit still while you are calling birds in. If you want to know anything about turkey dogs, check out the AWTHDA website or send me a PM, I'd be happy to tell you what I know or point you in the right direction. www.turkeydog.org.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:29 AM
Spike

Ok thanks could use all the help I can get
Old 08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Spike

I have read a lot on dog hunting turkeys and have tried it with some success. Most use a treeing hound bird dog mix breed for fall hunting turkeys.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I had one that was a mix setter/pointer. I had him in the woods all summer the first year walking around with him and got on birds on occasion. The tough part was getting him to bark, I accomplished this by running songbirds out of cedars near dark and making big deal. Unfortunately, he got epilepsy at 3 yrs old and only lasted another 14 months. Most rewarding hunts were with Jake. Good luck.