HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   what breed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/405037-what-breed.html)

Daniel_park 03-07-2016 12:53 AM

what breed

hey

Im just wondering what type of puppy i should get. I was thinking of a kelpie, blue/red heeler or a beagle. Just after an energy packed dog that i can train to fetch and even catch rabbits. Would like a dog to catch rabbit cause there are alot of rabbits around where i live. But not to much of a hunting dog that it is going to be under worked. Would appreciate any tips or advise!

Thanks

Oldtimr 03-07-2016 03:40 AM

People use beagles and hounds to hunt rabbits because they are too slow to catch them but trail them and bring them around past the hunter so they can shoot them. Being far enough behind the rabbits is also a plus because it would not be safe t shoot rabbits of the dog was close to the rabbit. You have to work any hunting dog, regardless of breed.

olsaltydog 03-07-2016 03:51 AM

Have never seen a hunting dog that can actually catch a rabbit. Have seen where a group of beagles managed to catch one but that was just luck and nothing trained for. As OT said most hunting dogs will trail the rabbit and never actually get close enough. From my experience here when beagles get on a cotton tail the cotton tail will usually run a square type pattern to get back to its safety. A marsh rabbit will go all over looking like an etch a sketch pad. None of the dogs get close enough to either one.

Daniel_park 03-07-2016 11:29 AM

Any other breeds you guys suggest? I was thinking of a hunting dog but I don't go hunting enough. But something that can be smart and something to have a bit of fun like with the rabbits

Oldtimr 03-07-2016 11:44 AM

If you don't have the time to train or maintain the training of a dog or are not willing to take the time it takes to train a hunting dog, do yourself and the dog a favor, don't buy a hunting dog. All you will have is a lot of problems or a run away dog in the field if you do not train it properly. You say you want something to have a bit of fun with on rabbits. Neither you or the dog will have fun if you take an untrained and non maintained dog hunting. Serious question, how old are you? You say you are snaring rabbits, have you taken a hunter education class, is rabbit season open now?

Daniel_park 03-07-2016 01:09 PM

I'm only 16 and just trying to get some rabbits. Yeh I've try snares but I think in I get a puppy of any type and train it around rabbits I think I will have a lot more fun. No matter how I catch them

Oldtimr 03-07-2016 01:45 PM

Young man, it is apparent you have no knowledge of wildlife laws where you live. That can get you in a lot of trouble. I strongly suggest you contact your wildlife agency and ask a lot of questions because it you violate the wildlife laws it gets very expensive. You just don't get to do things with wildlife because you think it may be fun and you don't get a dog to run on game because you think it would be fun if you don't want to train it. Quite frankly a sixteen year old should have all the time in the world to put into training a hunting companion, once you do research and find out how to do it.

Topgun 3006 03-07-2016 03:16 PM

^^^That pretty well says it all and I hope he listens better to that post than he has too all our others!

Mickey Finn 03-08-2016 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel_park (Post 4248637)
I'm only 16 and just trying to get some rabbits. Yeh I've try snares but I think in I get a puppy of any type and train it around rabbits I think I will have a lot more fun. No matter how I catch them

Don't listen to that old guy he's just a grouch. I have a Lurcher which is a collie x greyhound. He's a bigger male at 29" and can pick up rabbits pretty easily. Nice biddable dog with an off switch which is a nice change from the other hunting dogs I've owned.

Sight hounds have always been popular out west and are becoming common east of the Mississippi. They are also good for fox, wood chuck, raccoon, and can be taught to retrieve.

Fun is the main reason I own dogs and hunt by the way.

Topgun 3006 03-08-2016 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn (Post 4248884)
Don't listen to that old guy he's just a grouch. I have a Lurcher which is a collie x greyhound. He's a bigger male at 29" and can pick up rabbits pretty easily. Nice biddable dog with an off switch which is a nice change from the other hunting dogs I've owned.

Sight hounds have always been popular out west and are becoming common east of the Mississippi. They are also good for fox, wood chuck, raccoon, and can be taught to retrieve.

Fun is the main reason I own dogs and hunt by the way.

Don't know which "old grouch" you're referring to in your post, but IMHO it was not a very wise comeback for the 16 year old OP who's still obviously wet behind the ears with the questions he's asking. Also, FYI I don't think your reason for having a dog is much, if any, different from why most people have dogs!