Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Fisher vs Coon hounds?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fisher vs Coon hounds?

I have not coon hunted in years,but,by the same token,when i did there were no Fishers that i heard of.
A cousin of mine,had told me that a Fisher,that a pair of Redbones had caught up with,killed both of the dogs.He said it had taken their throats out and they bleed to death.
Can this be true? I saw a guy with a trapped Fisher,on Face Book today,and it was pretty darn big.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are a pretty good-sized mean, tough animal and I can easily see how one could kill a couple hounds if it felt it was backed into a corner and had no way out but to kill.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have a pretty good population of Fishers in PA (they were reintroduced a while back) and the males will get to 20 lbs or so. Like mink, martens, weasels, wolverines etc, (mustelidae) family they all can be vicious when cornered and I have no doubt a full grown male can kill a dog. They kill and eat porcupines, they target them, one of the few animals that do. They attack the face and bite and bite until the porky bleeds to death. I have never heard of a dog being killed by one in PA but I have no doubt a Fisher can.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Dominant Buck

We have a lot of them here in Vt and I have seen several in the past few years right here on my Island. They are very capable of taking out any small animal. I haven't heard of them bothering dogs but many outdoor cats come up missing.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Even coons will really tear into a dog sometimes. So I can see a Fisher doing some damage if it decided too. I saw one two years ago, and another this year. I'm on a facebook hunting page in PA and have seen a few pictures of some big ones being trapped..
-Jake
Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Even coons will really tear into a dog sometimes. So I can see a Fisher doing some damage if it decided too. I saw one two years ago, and another this year. I'm on a facebook hunting page in PA and have seen a few pictures of some big ones being trapped..
-Jake

You betcha they can! I remember one night back in the mid 50s when I was out with Dad and our black & tan and our bluetick. We knocked a big coon out of a tree and old Blue made a mistake and went up and nuzzled it in the side with his nose thinking it was dead. The coon had enough life left in it that it whirled around and grabbed old Blue right by the nose. He started bawling and when he lifted his head up and the coon hung on I can't believe it didn't tear his nose off. The coon let loose and Blue rolled that coon over like a good dog will usually do and grabbed him right in the chest and finished him off.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Like mink, martens, weasels, wolverines etc, (mustelidae) family they all can be vicious when cornered.........."
These are some of the toughest animals pound for pound in all of North America.

However, concerning dogs we all know the saying; "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog".

It all comes down to survival, and who wants it more !!!

Being "wild" they learn that early in life..........................

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-02-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fisher's a plenty here visiting bait sites. I don't believe they could kill a couple hounds that are working together. They'd most likely tree as soon as they heard the hounds coming. They like to jump tree to tree, and are fun to watch.

Now a wolverine would be another matter and any hound that closed with them would have a shortened career.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You betcha they can! I remember one night back in the mid 50s when I was out with Dad and our black & tan and our bluetick. We knocked a big coon out of a tree and old Blue made a mistake and went up and nuzzled it in the side with his nose thinking it was dead. The coon had enough life left in it that it whirled around and grabbed old Blue right by the nose. He started bawling and when he lifted his head up and the coon hung on I can't believe it didn't tear his nose off. The coon let loose and Blue rolled that coon over like a good dog will usually do and grabbed him right in the chest and finished him off.
Good for Blue.

ATB
Old 02-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin put a trail cam out by a dead deer a few years back, soon two coyotes found it, later a lone fisher came around and you could tell from the pics that he clearly drove the coyotes off, fishers are tuff. We had one kill our cat in our driveway, but i can't see a fisher killing one coon hound let a lone two? Freak things can happen though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.