Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Peanut Butter for Your Dog - Read the Label >

Peanut Butter for Your Dog - Read the Label

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Peanut Butter for Your Dog - Read the Label

Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation Peanut Butter for Your Dog - Read the Label

A lot of people give their dogs peanut butter, but some contain Zylitol. READ THE LABEL ! !

Xylitol, a sugar substitute toxic to dogs, is being used in peanut and other nut butter brands typically marketed in health-food stores, posing a risk to pets that may be fed the products by their unsuspecting owners.

At least five companies add xylitol to peanut butters. The brand names are Go Nuts, Hank's Protein Plus Peanut Butter, Krush Nutrition, Nuts 'n More and P28.

A naturally occurring alcohol in plants, xylitol is safe for people but not dogs because of differences in metabolism. Depending on the dose, dogs that consume xylitol may develop a range of ills, from mild hypoglycemia to liver failure, which can be fatal.

Peanut butter is a common treat for dogs, and often used to make pills palatable. Xylitol’s appearance in peanut butters raises concern among veterinarians, especially those in emergency medicine and toxicology.

Click here for the entire article : http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=38025

Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RPD63
Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, I use it for pills and just as a treat in a KONG. I'll watch the labels.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's good info. Thanks. But it got me curious so I read the label on the peanut butter in our frig. I give it to my lab in her Kong toy and also have PBJs for lunch. No wonder I've been feeling "frisky" lately. One of the ingredients is RAPESEED!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Spike

Whoa, thanks for this. We always give our dogs peanut butter in thier Kongs and never thought to look at the label, or about it containing Xylitol.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Spike

very useful info. my dog also likes peanut butter. I’ll take a note, look at the label before purchase.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:59 PM
Spike

A few years ago, I also read somewhere that peanut butter is good for dog's so I gave a little bit of peanut butter to my doggie, she ate it and loved it and everything was fine. But, the next morning when I woke up, I noticed that her entire face (especially mouth area) was swollen badly and she was in pain and could not even eat anything so I immediately took her to the vet and the vet told me that she got an allergic reaction because of the peanut butter and the vet also told me to never give her peanut butter or even chocolate to her ever again. The vet also told me that pet owner's often forget that dogs are different from humans and out of love they give them everything that they eat but it can be bad for the dog's health.
Anyways, I learned my lesson.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info. I just got done giving my setter a small piece of my English muffin from each side that had peanut butter on it she loves it. We only use Peter Pan and I checked the label, no Zylitol, they use sugar.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Spike

Good point. I knew Xylitol, was toxic but never imagined it was used in peanut but because its such a costly sweetener but with the age of keto I get why. Cut the carbs.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what I would do without Nova.