Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New dog, new method

Old 05-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is, thank you.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My family "rescued" a pup from the pet store a few months ago. He's a hunting breed, but you know pet store dogs... I like hunting over a dog, just never had one of my own. The only dogs I've ever trained were sled dogs, obviously different. So, I read up quick in the off-chance the the pet shop dog might have a hunting gene hidden somewhere. He surprised me, and the challenge has been on ever since.

Of what I've read - and don't get me wrong, having ideas and differences in opinions HAS been helpful - I'm frankly amazed at how many of those things just didn't work, other than simply to lead me to the next thing. And, I've come to appreciate more and value that he has some natural abilities which I underestimated after all of that reading.

He was too young for the field last season, so he's got his big test ahead and he looks good in the pastures around the house now. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm training a hunting buddy, not a showdog for Westminster or the textbook gun dog.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

What breed? Pointing or flushing?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
My family "rescued" a pup from the pet store a few months ago. He's a hunting breed, but you know pet store dogs... I like hunting over a dog, just never had one of my own. The only dogs I've ever trained were sled dogs, obviously different. So, I read up quick in the off-chance the the pet shop dog might have a hunting gene hidden somewhere. He surprised me, and the challenge has been on ever since.

Of what I've read - and don't get me wrong, having ideas and differences in opinions HAS been helpful - I'm frankly amazed at how many of those things just didn't work, other than simply to lead me to the next thing. And, I've come to appreciate more and value that he has some natural abilities which I underestimated after all of that reading.

He was too young for the field last season, so he's got his big test ahead and he looks good in the pastures around the house now. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm training a hunting buddy, not a showdog for Westminster or the textbook gun dog.
Post up some pictures of your new hunting buddy. We like pup pictures. Lol
Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What breed? Pointing or flushing?
English Springer. I'll try to post a photo one of these days.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, do that. Just a little advice from someone who is no expet trainer, but has trained several flushing dogs for myself,, the most important thing to teach a flushing dog is to "hup", that is to sit till you tell her to continue to hunt when she gets too far ahead of you, otherwise she will flush birds out of range. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Thanks, do that. Just a little advice from someone who is no expet trainer, but has trained several flushing dogs for myself,, the most important thing to teach a flushing dog is to "hup", that is to sit till you tell her to continue to hunt when she gets too far ahead of you, otherwise she will flush birds out of range. Good luck.
Absolutely. We've been working on this one, but only more practice and time will tell. I've been changing directions intentionally a lot when we're out "hunting", so he's kind of off balance and not always knowing where he's going to find me unless he stays relatively close by, especially in the tall grass. I've also been able to call him off the occasional jackrabbits and non-game birds almost instantly, which is encouraging but always a concern. I'd rather break bad habits before they become habits in the first place. He's a lot of fun to work with.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yo may be able to get pigeons and work with him on live birds. I was going to say chuckar but you probably have wild ones there. I used to get them here in PA at a game farm (about 50 or so) and just let the local WCO know that I was going to be putting some out and shooting them over my dog. I never had any problems going that route.
Just one quick tip if you do this. When you park your vehicle, go around the OTHER side of the field with the birds and plant them on your way back using a piece of surveyors flagging to mark them. I had to start doing that because my dog got too smart and realize that if she followed my scent trail it would lead her to a bird!

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-09-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, every smart dog does that.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called FORCE Fetch for a reason.
Teach = HOLD
Enforce = Ear Pinch Fetch
Reinforce = ecollar Fetch

What are you going to do to train Force to Pile ?
How about "T" and "double T" ?

I can think of a dozen reasons why I would not do "Treat Fetch".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.