Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

FF Started with Weezle

Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile FF Started with Weezle

The Weezle boy lost his last baby tooth on Jan 2 and his adult teeth are coming in well, so yesterday we started HOLD. If all goes well we will get into 'ear pinch' in a couple weeks.
This morning was his 3rd session of HOLD and he is doing just fine and is holding properly about 1/3 of the time.
Maybe he's just biddable -- maybe it's because I've FF a few dogs (and I feel comfortable doing it), but FF can actually be a fairly fun portion of training.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

When done PROPERLY, there is no Pain inflicted.
Yes, there is some uncomfortable pressure, but definitely NO PAIN.

Just like with any "pressure" training ( quirt, choke or prong collar, ecollar, etc) when applied appropriately, there should not be any pain -- some mild discomfort, yes -- That's how a dog learns to work through pressure situations.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 2nd post was in reply to somebody (who has deleted their own post) who thought that FF inflicted pain to the dog and that person didn't want to "hurt" his dog.
After I made my 2nd post that person deleted theirs.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually I deleted it before you posted or at the same time. I have not changed my mind, I watched dogs being ff for a while til I got sick of earing the dogs yipping . As I stated earlier, I know a lot of people do it, It is a technique I will not use, it may take longer than ff but , but in the end my dog will retrieve to hand without having her ear or toe pinched. Nothing you said caused me to delete my post, I just decided an argument would probably ensure and deleted it.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
1. I watched dogs being ff for a while til I got sick of earing the dogs yipping .

2. I just decided an argument would probably ensure and deleted it.
1. That's "old style". With modern FF (ear pinch) techniques, the dog does not vocalize. I follow "SmartFetch" by Evan Graham. Yes, you pinch the ear, but NOT to the point of pain -- just "pressure".

2. No argument will ensue, but a nice discussion would be informative to everyone who reads this forum.