Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Hound breeds are endangered in America! >

Hound breeds are endangered in America!

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hound breeds are endangered in America!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I see JMB still hasn't got the numerous hints people have given him to shut his yapper unless he can come up with something constructive to post! Hey JMB, we'll lighten up when you quit posting BS, LOL!!!
Constructive?

That is all a matter of opinion.

Hounds are pretty damn important to some hunters of some types of game. For mountain lions and bear, it is a necessity.

I don't know why you people feel it trivial to post about here.

The real BS is some of the stupid regs made by some stupid idiots at the capitol building in CA.

I am a hunter's friend. I am not your enemy. I hate PETA just as much as you do.

It is NOT my fault that hunting in America and especially California has gone down the tubes because of stupid politicians
who only hear the emotional cries of the Bambi-huggers, PETA and the Humane Society and not the hard scientific data from biologists and wildlife
conservation experts.

Once again, to me hunting is never hunting without a pooch present. It is never the same to me.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

As someone that actually DOES raise and sell AKC registered Treeing Walker Coonhounds, and knowing several others that also do, I will say, fervently, that you are a fool.

There's no shortage that I have seen. Maybe in Cali-head up their hind end-istan, where I can't foresee there's too many good ol' boys looking for solid coonhounds anyway, but in most of the US where hounds fight fur, there are dogs to be had.

There's a difference in buying a pony at the sale barn for your kids to ride and buying a thoroughbred ready to start breezing to get on the track. The level you play at is piddly compared to where hound-breeders need to play if they want to be successful. Hounds in certain parts of the country might fetch 3-5x more than they might in other areas, for the simple fact that they aren't as common there (or the sport for which they are BRED is not as common there), which entices a Midwest breeder like myself to sell hounds over the internet where I can accomplish 3 things: 1) Grow my kennel name, 2) fetch higher prices than the local market would support, and 3) drive DOWN prices in other areas for the same caliber of hound - forcing those local boys asking too much for their dogs to start playing reasonably. Much of what drives prices up in those areas, from what I have seen in the last 15yrs at least, is NOT driven by scarcity, but rather by stagnation of the gene pool. Old country hound lines getting crossed back over themselves a few too many times, meaning those dogs have a lot of championships on both sides, but also don't have much diversity, so the local dogs cost a lot, and NEW BLOODLINES are worth a premium. Lose lose for the local houndsman, unless they can find well bred dogs elsewhere.

And for what it's worth, most reputable breeders will have potential buyers come out and see the dogs, even go on a few hunts if possible either with the dogs for sale, or with the sire or dam in the case of pups, or with siblings in the cross, etc. We've had fellas from all over the country fly and drive to see our pups. It's not like they ordered a microwave off of Amazon.

I'll also offer the advice that you're getting a lot of retaliation against your misguided or misrepresented posts because you're speaking about things that you don't know, as if you're an expert in these areas. If you were a veteran houndsman looking for dogs and for some reason REALLY couldn't find them, then your post would be warranted. But you're not.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Spike

Walker coonhounds were not even registered with akc until recently. most are registered in ukc. there are alot of breeds not registered in akc. my dog is akc but that doesnt mean she is gonna be any better because she is akc. she is a gsp.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

lasix makes ya pee
Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hard to follow that comment..........................

So let me just say, that I just got a Redbone and I live in California.

She has good pedigree; now we shall see if she hunts.

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-31-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JonMBailey
In California using them is.
Then quit electing IDIOTs to represent you. CA is a failed social experiment that the rest the nation is going to get stuck with the tab for fixing the fiasco. They should build a fence around it and shoot anyone that tries to leave before the problems in the Land of Fruits, Flakes and Nuts are fixed.

As to the somewhat idiotic claim that hounds are "endangered" all I can say is that I'm in AL and there is no shortage of them down here. Matter of fact, the things are everywhere. I find it a little funny that someone in CA actually thinks that what he sees in CA is indicative of how the rest the nation is. Here's a little NEWSFLASH: The rest the nation doesn't want to be as screwed up as CA is!

Last edited by flags; 09-13-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Spike

someone like you asking all these questions throws a red flag to me. im a breeder of treeing walker coon hounds and english coon hounds but my peta/hsus radar just went off with you.
you want physical addresses,you want to look at the pups before buying, most hound breeds are NOT AKC pappered while some are most are UKC or PKC and most folks that know hounds know this.
just from your post,and this is only my opinion, you really sound like you would like to visit someones kennels, maybe take some video, hoping to see bad conditions. JUST SEEMS A LITTLE WEIRD TO ME but, you may be on the up and up and in which case there are plenty of breeders out there
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

This OP previously received a lot flack for his postings and lack of knowledge. He hasn't been here since 4/21 of this year, and likely won't be back. No one to get irritated about.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 12-02-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How about here -AKC

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_foxhound/index.cfm