Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Looking for a dog that can hunt the WIDEST variety of game. >

Looking for a dog that can hunt the WIDEST variety of game.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking for a dog that can hunt the WIDEST variety of game.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JonMBailey
It is probably not a breed that can be purchased locally in CA. Christ, we cannot not even find fox hound or coon hound breeders here in the West.
Jon---Click on this link to read about the breed and there are at least 5 kennels in CA if you click on that state for breeders there.

http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Spike

A black lab could be trained to do both waterfowl and big game/deer hunting. Just make sure you get a great dog and either put 200% into training or find a great trainer. Our past yellow lab who was put to sleep earlier this year due to cancer could out hunt any dog we ever met until the last couple months of her life when she got cancer. The two labs I've had were both great hunting dogs. We have a new black lab puppy that will hopefully become a prized hunting dog and field trial champ. Just spend the extra money and go for a dog with great genes. Another great way is to buy dogs that didn't make it as field trial dogs but are still amazing hunting dogs and will still beat most dogs, these dogs will usually be about 3 years old.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 AM
Spike

Red face

Originally Posted by bsums
A black lab could be trained to do both waterfowl and big game/deer hunting. Just make sure you get a great dog and either put 200% into training or find a great trainer. Our past yellow lab who was put to sleep earlier this year due to cancer could out hunt any dog we ever met until the last couple months of her life when she got cancer. The two labs I've had were both great hunting dogs. We have a new black lab puppy that will hopefully become a prized hunting dog and field trial champ. Just spend the extra money and go for a dog with great genes. Another great way is to buy dogs that didn't make it as field trial dogs but are still amazing hunting dogs and will still beat most dogs, these dogs will usually be about 3 years old.
I would rather buy puppies to bond with from an early age. Besides, I want to NAME my own dogs anyhow. I don't think a casual weekend hunter needs dogs with the fanciest pedigrees.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not looking for any because I've already got the most versatile dog on the planet--a Drahthaar will beat a Lab in anything and then some!
A drahthaar is known as a German Wirehaired Pointer in America.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/german_wi...d_standard.cfm

The dog could look handsomer and neater with some good grooming.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My brother had a Springer that was one of the best hunting dogs I have had the pleasure of hunting with. She did the feathered game, rabbits and squirrels and retrieved too.

Living in Michigan I can not stand a deer running dog.
For my own needs I had a dog like guns for about every thing.

My Visula was about the closest thing to a do it all dog I have owned. the yellow lab helped her with rabbits.

The springer and chocolate labby worked birds well together.

The Springer and yellow labby mix made me smile a lot and they smiled back.

My Visula was the last of my 4 who passed in June 2013. Decided I didn't want any more dogs but by August I missed having a buddy in the field with me. I got a Shir Pei mix from the pound and she is learning pretty well.

She is now working on a check cord to keep her close and make sure she knows deer are off limits for chasing.

Al
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

A drahthaar is known as a German Wirehaired Pointer in America.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/german_wi...d_standard.cfm

The dog could look handsomer and neater with some good grooming.
***Get educated by clicking on that link I provided, as the Drahthaar is not an AKC papered dog in your link. Then when you can come back and quit dissing someone else's animal maybe we'll have a decent chat!!! Incidently, mine doesn't need any grooming, as he lacks the wiry muzzle and looks like a GSP.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Spike

GSPs, GWPs, Labs. And, there's nothing a good Patt or Jagd can't do!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not looking for any because I've already got the most versatile dog on the planet--a Drahthaar will beat a Lab in anything and then some!
Drahthaar, one planet one dog.

ATB
Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

JonMBailey,

just a lil on the stupid side....
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Typical

They don't look like attractive dogs so I will have to stick with the best hunting dog I fancy the looks of and is highly available in California.

the black Labrador Retriever of good hunting stock
Typical Cali response. I feel sorry for any hunting dog that ends up in Cali anyway! Do not forget to order your pooper picker upper before you buy your dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.