HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Pray for my hunting buddy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/388748-pray-my-hunting-buddy.html)

skiftcky 01-07-2014 08:15 PM

Pray for my hunting buddy

1 Attachment(s)
My pup was acting weird so I took her to the vet, they did emergency surgery and removed one of her ovaries and part of the uterus. They are usually about the size of a large grape but hers had swollen to the size of two grapefruits. She's recovering now but she needs all the prayers she can get... Also, don't forget who retrieves your birds or rounds your rabbits. these pups do it for our approval and love. I just hope she has many more years in the blind with me.... Attatched are pics of her recovering and a pic of the ovary they removed.

skiftcky 01-07-2014 08:17 PM

mass

1 Attachment(s)
mass and part of utero

Tundra10 01-07-2014 10:33 PM

Prayers and well wishes....God speed!

crokit 01-08-2014 07:13 AM

DAMN! Here's to hoping for a full recovery and many more special moments.

Bullcamp82834 01-08-2014 09:49 AM

Hope all goes well.
I love mine too.

skiftcky 01-08-2014 05:16 PM

I think we are out of the woods now, she's up and walking around and ate for the first time in 3 days.
Thanks all

ArkGirl 01-09-2014 06:55 AM

So glad she is recovering and getting around/eating. Did they remove just part of the uterus...or did they just go ahead and do a full OHE? How old is she?

What pain meds did they send her home with?

It's so tough to watch them hurt or be down like this. They are family as far as I'm concerned. She is a lucky pup to have you taking such good care of her.

skiftcky 01-09-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArkGirl (Post 4114663)
So glad she is recovering and getting around/eating. Did they remove just part of the uterus...or did they just go ahead and do a full OHE? How old is she?

What pain meds did they send her home with?

It's so tough to watch them hurt or be down like this. They are family as far as I'm concerned. She is a lucky pup to have you taking such good care of her.

She is good, had her post op check up today and doc said she's doing good. They gave ger 2 meds for pain... tramadol and an anti inflamatory also, baytril as an antibiotic. Also they did a full hysterectomy which is cool with me because they weren't 100% sure if it was malignant or not, will get the biopsy report in a week when she gets her staples out... If it is malignant the docs are already making treatment plans... just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Oh yeah, she is only 4 years old so barely out of the puppy stage. And she has gotten savvy to the meds in a piece of cheese so I'm having trouble getting the pills in there.

ArkGirl 01-10-2014 07:53 AM

That's good to hear. I was hoping they did a full OHE. There's really no reason not to and with what you described/showed us....it was the smart thing to do.

I'm also glad to hear they made sure she was given a true pain med as well as the standard anti-inflammatory. We have come a long way in that area of care for the animals. Back when I first worked for a vet in high school in 1990...that just wasn't done much. There were not a lot of good pain management options on the market for animals back then. Now we even have excellent long acting drugs for the rodents in the lab. Better living through chemistry for our furry friends!

I hope the biopsy shows it to be benign, and that she can get back to hunting with you soon and for many years to come. At the age of 4...she is just getting going!

Phil from Maine 01-10-2014 10:45 AM

I am sorry to hear about your gun dog.. I hope that she will be alright and that you can enjoy plenty of more years with her.. We all love our gun dogs no matter what we are hunting for.. I hope the biopsy comes out with positive news for you and not anything else... Good Luck with her..