HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   New Pup (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/382789-new-pup.html)

outlawzmed23 07-07-2013 12:35 AM

New Pup

Greetings yall from overseas. I am currently deployed with the military. I lost my 4 year old chocolate lab when i first left the country to cancer. I have been looking all over the internet for a new dog. My wife suprised me early this morning by picking up a lab/collie mix 11 weeks old. From the pictures the pup is mainly all lab with a little white coloring from the collie. I was wondering I will be using the pup as a hunting dog, was wondering what you all think about food for the pup. I will be training the pup as soon as i get home next year for hunting. Do you think I will be able to still get her to hunt, or will it be to late. I will put alot of time and effort into getting her to retrieve. All suggestions are welcomed.

Mickey Finn 07-07-2013 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by outlawzmed23 (Post 4065814)
Greetings yall from overseas. I am currently deployed with the military. I lost my 4 year old chocolate lab when i first left the country to cancer. I have been looking all over the internet for a new dog. My wife suprised me early this morning by picking up a lab/collie mix 11 weeks old. From the pictures the pup is mainly all lab with a little white coloring from the collie. I was wondering I will be using the pup as a hunting dog, was wondering what you all think about food for the pup. I will be training the pup as soon as i get home next year for hunting. Do you think I will be able to still get her to hunt, or will it be to late. I will put alot of time and effort into getting her to retrieve. All suggestions are welcomed.

Hi outlawzmed23. That sounds like an excellent mix to me. Especially if it's 1/2 border, or bearded collie. As long as your wife gets started on the basic commands and teaching the dog to take direction. You shouldn't have any trouble training this dog to do a number of things. Retrieving, and flushing should be a breeze actually. Blood tracking done in conjunction with force fetch training could pay dividends as well.

As for food. A high quality puppy chow can be fed for up to 2 years. Though many switch earlier again to a high quality adult feed. I like the feeds designed for sporting dogs which give you 30% protein, and 20% fat. I use Pro-Plan, and my dogs look good, and have more energy then they can use.

Stay safe!

outlawzmed23 07-07-2013 05:51 PM

thanks for the advice, its half border collie/ half lab. I have been keeping in touch with my wife to get the general commands down with the pup. I hope it will be a breeze with the rest of the training when i get home. Also, i will let me wife know about the food.

HogNDog 08-19-2013 03:03 PM

Merrick Dog Food is really good, it's grain free too which is a big plus. Merrick doesn't contain any fillers or anything that would be harmful to your dog.