Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What is your favorite hound? >

What is your favorite hound?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What is your favorite hound?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default What is your favorite hound?

I am looking at getting a hound for big game. What is you favorite hound and why?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Spike

That is like asking what is the best truck or the best shotgun. Walkers are what. I used for coon hunting. A lot of people run plotts on bear. Any of them will work. Make sure you get a pup from someone who is running the game you are planning on. Good luck
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt bear with hounds. I have Blueticks, Plotts and Walkers. I like the Blueticks the best, in my opinion they have the best nose, fastest out of all my hounds, alot of grit and a deep booming voice that carries along way. Walkers are pretty good but have a hotter nose than a Bluetick in my experience, it isnt quite as sharp. I have seen my Blueticks strike a bear track that is to cold for my Walkers to run. Walkers that I have been arround usually dont have alot of grit, but there are exceptions. My Plotts are my least favorite of the three, they are a good pack dog but usually dont have the speed and indurance that the Blueticks and Walkers have, but there are exceptions. Plotts generally have the worst sounding voice, and are pretty hot nosed, they need a real hot track in order to run it. They do have alot of grit, they are aggresive but no more than a Bluetick. All in all, a Bluetick has the best combo of everything I look for in a hound. But it is just personal. Some people will tell you the only difference is color. But the truth is different breeds have different traits and personalities. I have just had better luck with the Bluetick breed.

Last edited by fritz1; 01-18-2013 at 04:13 AM.