HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   New to bird hunting and a new gsp!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/376445-new-bird-hunting-new-gsp.html)

jabennett 12-12-2012 06:30 AM

New to bird hunting and a new gsp!!!

I have rabbit hunted, coon hunted, and squirrel hunted with hounds but now I want to get into bird hunting. I just got a GSP female pup and I'm hearing a lot of different things online and from people. Would I be right in assuming that the biggest part of the training for me should be just to get her well started with basic obedience and let the instincts of the bird dog come out with walks in the woods on wild birds and maybe a game farm down the road. Or would I be better off doing the bird wing, then caged bird, then game farm, and then real hunting situations. I work with a guy who has a pretty good dog from what I hear and he said he never taught it to hunt he taught it to listen and the dog figured everything else out on its own. He told me you can make training as simple or as complicated as I want it. In the end aren't you going to end up with comparable dogs, the only difference is just how fast you are going to get a "finished" dog. I understand that what I want and would allow my dog to do might not be the same as someone who is field-trialing or other hunt test. Also is it just me or is the whole whoa barrel just a big waste of time and effort for something you can teach on a leash and check cord. Wouldn't using a child's cap-gun in the house while playing around and feeding be better than slamming pots and pans together? Does any of this sound off to you more experienced bird hunters? Any insight into this is much appreciated. thanks

JW 12-12-2012 06:54 AM

Jab - Obedience is everything. That is what I work on 24/7 with my 2. Second I joined an ogranization and a chapter of a dog organization as they helped train me to train my own. I don't give a rip about titles or ribbons.

Just look at www.navhda.org.

Now I am just a hunter - don't care to breed at all - but a well trained versatile pointing dog I use to hunt on both land and water, that hahs manners and is well trained before and after the shot is a beauty to behold.

Nothing better than a staunch point or a well timed water RTV on command. NAVHDA helped me do it all. And that being said all athletes needs some type of training. Yes the dog has inherited instrinsic traits - but one needs to cultivate those traits.

GL -

JW

jabennett 12-13-2012 03:41 AM

is it costly to get involved with navhda. dogs and hunting is costly enough without dumping more into an organization.

Mite 12-13-2012 06:36 AM

The cost is minimal compared to the overall cost of owning the dog.

But if you want to go minimal cost, pick up several videos and couple of books. NAVHDA is good organization for GSP training and they have training books. I would recommend "How to help gun dogs train themselves" by Joan Bailey. Pre-sequel to NAVHDA bluebook.

I wouldn't worry about the barrel. It's just another method to 'finish' a dog. A day at the game farm will usually turn a dog into a bird dog. A finished dog will require more training. It all depends upon how finished you want the dog. I would forego banging pots and just wait until perhaps 6-9 months age to start bird & gun introduction. Before that yard training but let it be a pup.

A game farm is great for training. You can buy a multiple of birds in different sizes, control how they fly or set and introduce gun shots all at the same time. Take with you a check chord, starters pistol w/blanks and if you have one or borrow one, a .410.

jabennett 12-16-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks for your advice. I will look into getting a copy of that book..com