Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Age to begin duck training? >

Age to begin duck training?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Age to begin duck training?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Still waiting to hear why a beginner shouldn't own a Drahthaar.

ATB
Some breeds are easy to train and very 'forgiving' of trainer/handler errors...... A DD isn't one of those breeds.
The only time i would recommend a DD for a 'newbie' would be if they have training partners who are very experienced with DDs or a Pro trainer.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doc E
Some breeds are easy to train and very 'forgiving' of trainer/handler errors...... A DD isn't one of those breeds.
The only time i would recommend a DD for a 'newbie' would be if they have training partners who are very experienced with DDs or a Pro trainer.

Doc, I would recommend help for any first time dog handler. Though I wouldn't recommend a professional trainer for one. You might end up with a dog that knows what it's doing, and a handler that doesn't.

The advantages in inherited traits, makes a DD an excellent choice for any hunter. I'm not sure what errors you are referring to. But DDs are a pretty forgiving breed. As far as pressure, and workload. Most pass their HZP at around 18mos.

ATB
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Spike

I have a chocolate lab and she is my first bird dog and my first foray into canine training. A friend recommended the tri-tronics retriever training manual and its been great. I'm no expert but I believe in getting in the field and exposing a young dog to as much actual hunting as possible. Her first hunt was a dove hunt and after about my 5th dove she started looking up and it just clicked. She retrieved over 100 doves during dove season and she has made about 30 retrieves this waterfowl season. I'll never hunt without a dog again.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Spike

Good for you SoTex. I've always been one to get them started young. In my experience, some dogs progress quickly and others not so much. I suspect it has as much to do with the owner as well.
Trust your gut and don't get too caught up in the hype. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Last edited by Jaag; 01-21-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never heard of trainers starting them at 1 year of age. All the hunter breeds ive looked at and books ive read start with the loud noise integration at 6 weeks, then really start training at 6 months. 1 year is a bit old to start but probably not too late.