Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 how do you go about training a retriever on upland >

how do you go about training a retriever on upland

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

how do you go about training a retriever on upland

Old 09-10-2003, 03:57 AM

Default how do you go about training a retriever on upland

I have a year old chessie that is about to do his first season in the duck blind with me next month. I' ve worked all summer and I' m pretty sure I have a one dog duck hunting machine. Other than lack of experiance and a little jitters he' s locked on. BUT I want to upland hunt him as well. all my training books and aids said that it' s best to teach the retrieving side and master it then work on upland, but none of them said how. I would like to start this process right after duck season but I need to teach myself before then. anyone out there have any advice??
Old 09-10-2003, 12:28 PM

Default RE: how do you go about training a retriever on upland

CM ... what makes you think that training a retriever for upland is done any differently than a spaniel or other non-pointing breed " upland dawg" ? You are correct about teaching waterfowl retrieving skills first, however.

There are NAVHDA Clubs around you and that' s what you are trying to accomplish, making that Chessie a " Versatile" dawg. Look into joining one and getting help there ... http://www.navhda.org/chaptmap.html

Of course ... you could always try to train him like my yellar dawg who has this peculiar habit of getting very stubborn, freezing in place and refusing to move when hot on a gamebird ...

Old 09-11-2003, 04:42 AM

Hey, Nevada Jim I had that same problem with my yella dawg. Figured he was having a fit of some kind but a couple boots under the tail cured him of it. He He He. Must be something in the genes of them yella dawgs huh?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 AM

Hey DR ... IMO, every sporting breed has the latent potential to point. Most Non-pointing breed pups are either not encouraged to do so, or are outright broken of the tendency when first displaying it. It' s merely an interrupted step that most predators (canines genetic forebearers) use in an abundance of caution when tracking their prey and fearful of flushing it out of their reach. Even domestic house cats and the big cats of Africa will do the same thing.

My yellar dawg pup was 7 weeks old when he joined our family that included a 6 year old Llewellin Setter at the time. The pup was trained for NAHRA competition but also learned upland techniquest alongside my Setter. To this day, Cappy thinks he IS a Setter ... but just has a taste for waterfowl.

Old 09-13-2003, 03:42 PM

Nevada Jim,

Great photo. If thats not an upland dog, then what is it. Sprung ribs and twelve 0' clock tails are not the only upland bird dog requirement.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Chessie man,

This may sound rather simplistic, but, if you want an upland dog, introduce her to upland game. Woodcock, pheasant, quail and/or grouse, repetition and exposure will give you the dog you desire. My dogs are upland hunters first -- waterfowl a distant second, so don' t be fooled by what you read when it comes to retrievers or Chessies in general. They can do it all!!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 04:32 PM

If the dog is retrieving the bird to hand , which is what a good waterfowl dog must do, you have more than 3/4 of the battle won in turning him upland.

Next is getting that dog to quarter under control and in shotgun range.
Electric collar training is extremely helpful in accomplishing these tasks.

And finally,as mentioed before, repitition and experience with upland game. Hit those pheasant farms in the off season. Talk to the owners of these farms. They can tie rooster legs (enough for them to walk, but discourages running) for the first couple birds to get the pup into the swing.

Best of luck. The waterfowl training is 10 times more difficult. You did the right thing by starting your pup in the blind first.

Mathewsconquest