Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab eats poo!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lab eats poo!

This is disgusting! For some reason when he was younger 4 months, he would go outside and eat the frozen poo. [X(] we tried everything from the medicine from the vet, cheyanne pepper, etc. Finally he stopped when the weather got warm and the poo wasn' t frozen. Now, just the other day, I caught him again! It wasn' t a frozen poopcicle like he used to nibble on, is 80 degrees out!

Anybody else ever experience this? How did you fix it? Any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:29 PM

Default RE: Lab eats poo!

My older Lab used to do the same thing! If it was poo, from cow to whatever, she would eat it. She is now 5 years old and has given it up (for more than 3 years) for whatever reason. Hope the long term will help you as well.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:00 AM

My goldens do the same think. This weekend on a dove hunt my male lab was cleaning up after cows and even me once.[:' (] I' ve asked around and everyone says that it is perfectly natural but I sure don' t want to be licked in the face afterwards[].
Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Both my labs love eating poo too.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. I thought Nitro was the only dog to do this. Thanks for the link Kevin.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:37 AM

we got an old lab and she was really overweight. The vet told us to cut down her food so we did. She began cleaning up the backyard, and would come in the house with wonderful breath[X(] We increased her food back to what it was, and she stopped. My dog will be fat and have better breath. We are pretty sure that in her previous " home" she had probably gone several days without food in her early years (when the childern were responsible for her care) and learned that eating her waste helped with the hunger. She still likes to find cat or horse droppings (like the rest of our dogs) from time to time, but at least the backyard is safe.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You have 2 choices

You have 2 choices....
1. Clean up the poo before the dog has a chance to eat it
2. A " High 5" on the ecollar when the dog begins to eat it (without the dog knowing you' re watching).
Old 09-25-2003, 06:31 PM

If you are talking poop from other sources , that is from birds, cattle etc. that is perfectly normal for them to eat it and to roll in it if it is fresh. If he is eating his own poop that is not normal and maybe a vet could help you. Sometimnes a bitch is more prone to start eating their own after they get used to cleaning up behind a litter. Disgusting as it is just remember that when they want to kiss you next time. My old buddy had a lab that was in his glory when one of us had to stroll back in the weeds to relieve ourselves. You had to beat him off with a stick or you got a cold nose before you could reach a hand full of soft grass.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:42 AM

I wish I had a poop eating dog. Then maybe I wouldn' t have to pick any up out of the yard

Poop has a lot of protein in it. I though I heard that most of it goes right through the digestive system and is only absorbed if it is needed such as if you excersize while it' s in the intestine. I don' t know if there is anything bad in the poop. It' s just disgusting. And if the dog licks you then... ah Poop!

Quick Reply: Lab eats poo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.