HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   My New Puppy! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/366128-my-new-puppy.html)

Ultrakd 06-12-2012 06:25 PM

My New Puppy!

3 Attachment(s)
I was finally able to convince my family to let me get another dog, since our other is just a family dog.I found her at the SPCA, she had only been there a week. She is a 3month old, 25lb bulldog mix (according to the SPCA). She is gonna be my catch dog for hunting hogs. Im so excited and I cant wait to get training her.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for training her, I would greatly appreciate the help? Right now Im working on verbal commands with her right now. But I want to use a whistle with her also for when we are out hunting.

Anyways, Ill shut up and show you my pup. Introducing Xena! :D

16gauge 06-13-2012 08:33 AM

Sorry, don't have any tips (never trained a hog dog before), but just wanted to say congrats on the new pup....she looks like she's made herself at home!

Mickey Finn 06-17-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ultrakd (Post 3943993)
I was finally able to convince my family to let me get another dog, since our other is just a family dog.I found her at the SPCA, she had only been there a week. She is a 3month old, 25lb bulldog mix (according to the SPCA). She is gonna be my catch dog for hunting hogs. Im so excited and I cant wait to get training her.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for training her, I would greatly appreciate the help? Right now Im working on verbal commands with her right now. But I want to use a whistle with her also for when we are out hunting.

Anyways, Ill shut up and show you my pup. Introducing Xena! :D

Nice looking pup. I don't know anything about hogs. But, for the whistle. Choose the signal's you want to use for which command. Then as your pup learns the verbal commands. Just overlay the whistle when you give the verbal command. For come, you can ad a long rope to help coax her back to you. After a little while, the pup should respond to the whistle alone. But, each command has to be distinct. Otherwise, the pup may come to you, no matter what command your trying to give. As with everything, be patient and have fun.

Aldorion 07-07-2012 03:44 AM

my puppy

i got my new puppy but he is too much funny and spend a lot of my time with him to enjoy. Actually i get bored a lonely in the day. but my puppy is like an entertainment for me. i am soo happy and spending my nice time with my puppy.

Seif5034 07-07-2012 01:21 PM

Don't know a whole lot about hog dogs specifically. I'd say keep up the basic obedience stuff, and try to find someone with experienced catch dogs to run your pup with. That's probably the easiest way to train em.