Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Training table dimensions? >

Training table dimensions?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training table dimensions?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Spike

Default Training table dimensions?

I'm starting to work on force fetch with my lab. I would like to build a table, and have an idea was to what height and length I would like, but I would like some input as to how wide it should be.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, if you are going to FF a number of dogs, a table might be nice, but for FF one dog ?
Waste of time and energy building a table.
Just sit on a bucket for your FF sessions.

Are you going to use ear pinch or toe hitch ?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Spike

I've tried both....ear pinch works better for me. Trying to pull on a string to pinch the dogs toe, while at the same time trying to put something in his/her mouth became more frustrating than anything. I like the technique I found on youtube using the buckle on the dog's collar to create pressure with my thumb.
Used the ear method with my first two dogs (American water spaniel & Chesapeake Bay retriever) and it worked well with both of them.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Training table plans

http://www.navhda.org/table.html

Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 16gauge
I've tried both....ear pinch works better for me. Trying to pull on a string to pinch the dogs toe, while at the same time trying to put something in his/her mouth became more frustrating than anything. I like the technique I found on youtube using the buckle on the dog's collar to create pressure with my thumb.
Used the ear method with my first two dogs (American water spaniel & Chesapeake Bay retriever) and it worked well with both of them.

Then you certainly don't need a table --- just a 5 gal bucket for you to sit on.
I too prefer ear pinch --- if a dog disobeys out in the field, it's easy to 'show them the ligh' with ear pinch --- how can you 'show them the light' out in the field with a toe hitch.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respectfully disagree with those who don't think a training table will be useful. I have used mine for years. Every command is taught on the table first. Then it is moved to the yard etc. I also, do a lot of my grooming and first aid on the table. The dogs are always willing to jump up, as a matter of fact. They will jump on the table in an effort to prolong training, rather than go back in the kennel.

I do agree with the ear pinch though. Just for the reasons Doc mentioned.

ATB
Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Spike

Mickey;
Thanks...that's basically what I was looking for.