HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   More From Diamond (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/362286-more-diamond.html)

Doc E 04-12-2012 06:31 PM

More From Diamond

Pet Food Suspends Delivery of All Brands made in SC

Paraphrasing 'In light of the recent Diamond Pet Food Recall, out of precaution Diamond is suspending delivery of all products made at the Diamond South Carolina facility until more information is available.' Told to me by Julie, Diamond Pet Food Representative.

Foods made by Diamond Pet Food (though not confirmed to be made at the South Carolina Plant)
Solid Gold
Canidae/Felidae
Natural Balance
Kirkland (Costco Brand)
Chicken Soup
Taste of the Wild
4-Health (Tractor Supply Brand)

This is NOT a recall. No other information was provided.

Mite 04-13-2012 09:24 PM

Crap...everyone said Costco Kirkland brand was one of the best.

Tundra10 04-24-2012 10:52 PM

info bump .

SamMeyer 03-20-2017 10:00 AM

Beware Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete

Based on posts read on this site a couple years ago I switched my Labs to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete - since then my 7 year old male has experienced runny eyes, large ugly swellings between his toes, and recently started licking his paws raw and scratching large areas of swelling all over his legs and back raw. Per the vet these are classic symptoms of allergic reaction to food ingredients, particularly Diamond brand products (her words not mine). Not entirely believing her I have done some online research of my own and found a great deal of negative info on Diamond brand products - particularly with regard to allergic reactions and bacterial infections related to its use. Not happy as I had just purchased a 40 pound bag of it - but I'm dumping this crap and looking for something to replace it before my dog licks / scratches himself to the bone (I'm currently treating open sores caused by him licking / scratching the swollen areas) Obviously YMMV - my 3 year old has shown no adverse reactions - but I'm switching her too to avoid yet more vet bills for an easily preventable problem. BTW Diamond is apparently notorious for denying any problem with their products, and only did their 2012 under extreme duress. My advice is to avoid their products altogether.

Oldtimr 03-20-2017 11:53 AM

I feed my Setter Nutri System dry food based on the recommendation of the breeder who feeds it to all her dogs and puppies. She also told me that Greenies are the worst thing you can give your dogs so I no longer give our dogs Greenies. There is an epidemic in this country of dogs being allergic to commercial dog foods, that is one of the reasons we are seeing the various meats not contained in dog foods that were never in it before such as rabbit, bison etc. My wife's Scottie is allergic to almost every kind of food. He would break out in rashes all over his body. He has been on Hydrolyzed Protein dry and canned food made by Royal Canin veterinary diet which is very expensive but our Scottie doesn't suffer any more and he is a new dog with lots of energy. There was a time when people just bought whatever was in the store or the feed mill, we can't afford to do that any more, if we take on the responsibility of dog ownership, we take on the expense of properly caring for them.

Phil from Maine 03-22-2017 08:01 AM

I fed my setters Eagle Pack Brand dog for up until they both have past on. My first one died 2 winters ago and my last one this past winter.. They both were great dogs and no one can go wrong with Eagle Pack in my opinion.. The price tag may appear a bit steep but it is well worth it.

JW 03-23-2017 01:55 PM

I have fed Purina Pro Plan with no problems through 5 dds.
Do use the Performance when hunting hard but the staple is Chicken and Rice.

JW

Oldtimr 03-23-2017 02:37 PM

I found Purina Pro plan to be lacking for my dogs. Their stool was never firm and always soft and mushy. I thought I was feeding a quality feed but I changed my mind and switched to Nutri System and haven't looked back. I believe the problem is, there is no brand of feed that is good for all dogs!

gjersy 04-02-2017 05:29 AM

I see the diamond suspension (not recall) was from 2012, I've always had good success with Diamond with my hunting and house dogs. Thats the only commercial dog food i've used for many years. I give my dogs a variety of food including venison scraps/ venison road kill, raw chicken, raw redhorse, not the heads. I think giving them a good variety from day one helps with a dogs health problems.