Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
How do shorthaired dogs take to the cold? >

How do shorthaired dogs take to the cold?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How do shorthaired dogs take to the cold?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Spike

Default How do shorthaired dogs take to the cold?

I'm thinkin of getting a hound some point here, but it would need to stay out most of the time. I live in the midwest, so it can get chilly. Anyone know how a hound would take to the cold? (I would like experience here, so if you've never had a shorthaired odg and are just guessing, I don't wanna hear it)
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Michigan, and he stays outside. If you want my opinion. It really depends on a couple things. First of all, any dog needs a good insulated dog house. Secondly, it really doesn't matter how long the hair is. It's the undercoat that keeps them warm. Alot of hounds have a single coat. But, with a good house they can stay out as far north as you care to go.

Good hunting!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Mickey is that a Draht?

Nice pic by the way. I have a female that looks very similar.

Shorthaired dogs do just fine in the cold. Ss Mickey told you - the dog house insulated makes all the difference.

JW

Last edited by JW; 04-16-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default JW

Yes, he's a Drahthaar. Nine years old now. I love the short hard coats!

ATB
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Thought so - but people get testy if you ask is it a wirehair?
Cold who is cold?

My other female - little more fuzzier

Morgan R.I.P. 37 ducks retrieved that day.....

Schtella R.I.P.

Is it my turn dad?

Last edited by JW; 04-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm also in MI and my DD stays in the house most of the time, but loves cold weather. In fact, the colder the better and if it above 50 degrees or so he's not happy, LOL! He didn't grow the wiry muzzle like most do and everyone thinks he's a straight GSP. His name is Herc (short for Hercules) and he's 8 1/2, but as spry as a puppy!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default DD's

Well, I guess we've hijacked this thread. J.W., and TOPGUN. Those a some fine looking DDs

Here's mine blood tracking his first bear.

Dead game baying.

Blind retrieve at the Armbruster

7 degrees F.

90+degrees F.

I'm developing an interest in sight hounds. But, I'm sure I'll always have a DD in the kennel.

ATB
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love that last photo of your dog in the heat. Herc lays like that, especially when it's warm and even completely up on his back with all four feet up in the air a lot of times!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Spike

yet again red yote ill speak for hounds from experience. ive got a lab. normal lab hair thick. she gets cold faster than my redbones. and my redbones have very very thin short hair. no undercoat. they are cold hardy but i dont bet their life on it. i always always make sure my dogs have a warm bed and house. for hounds i like to insulate their house and cram it full of straw, cedar bedding and blankets. keeps them toasty. i also move them together during freeze. ive got to many dogs to bring inside lol. i live in north ga, this past winter was brutal. lowest was 0% i am in the mountains. they were ok. i was worried about all my dogs. just as long as they have a place to get warm youll be fine. my hounds dont mind the cold when they hunt one bit tho. hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RTG_Bekah
yet again red yote ill speak for hounds from experience. ive got a lab. normal lab hair thick. she gets cold faster than my redbones. and my redbones have very very thin short hair. no undercoat. they are cold hardy but i dont bet their life on it. i always always make sure my dogs have a warm bed and house. for hounds i like to insulate their house and cram it full of straw, cedar bedding and blankets. keeps them toasty. i also move them together during freeze. ive got to many dogs to bring inside lol. i live in north ga, this past winter was brutal. lowest was 0% i am in the mountains. they were ok. i was worried about all my dogs. just as long as they have a place to get warm youll be fine. my hounds dont mind the cold when they hunt one bit tho. hope this helps.

Hi RTG. It's funny, we had the easiest winter I can remember. Didn't even fire up the snow thrower.

I hunt around bear hounds some. So, I've come up with a theory on a hounds lack of an undercoat. I think they would overheat on their longer chases. I know, it's brilliant.

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.