Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

setter vrs gsp

Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default setter vrs gsp

i am looking at getting a grouse dog.down to lewellin setter.some say gsp is good too.
i really like labs and most likely after toby passes on ,i will get another.
pointing dogs above just get much more grouse than toby does here in northcentral pa.
toby tires out and does not pick up scent like these others.
on pheasant hunts,HE IS KING.no better dog i have seen other than SPRINGER.

but most of my hunting is grouse and those pointing dogs just can locate grouse better than toby and hunt most of day .

so, those 2 are ones most tell me to get.
i got chance to see a SMALL MUSTERLANDER hunt. boy, that dog is something on grouse. THEY EVEN SWIM.

wish i could stay with just lab for grouse but i am only one using one and pointing breeds just get it done much better .

what do you folks think.setter/gsp or another breed.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Get a dog that you like and enjoy. Even if you go with another breed, listening to someone else opinion will usually get you in trouble. Everybody has an opinion, especially on their own dog breed; even though they haven't really hunted much behind other breeds.

Personally, I've hunted behind mostly setters. But my friend has a brit that is slow and a methodical hunter which suits him fine but would drive me crazy.

You'll always compare a new dog with Toby.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mite
Get a dog that you like and enjoy. Even if you go with another breed, listening to someone else opinion will usually get you in trouble. Everybody has an opinion, especially on their own dog breed; even though they haven't really hunted much behind other breeds.

Personally, I've hunted behind mostly setters. But my friend has a brit that is slow and a methodical hunter which suits him fine but would drive me crazy.

You'll always compare a new dog with Toby.

how you doing?if labs could take heat and hunt longer,i would get another lab even tho they dont get birds that those 2 do.
warm days are hard as h on toby.
i am always first one heading to truck with tobys tongue hanging out.
he is very good on pheasants but grouse woods, not so good, he wears out fast.

those SPRINGERS i saw this year on pheasants were just AWESOME.
but terrible on grouse .

i have guy who lives close to me that has GSP/SETTER/MUSTERLANDER.
he invited me to come hunt with him for day, that was very nice.
he trained bird dogs for 50 yrs, unreal.lucky i have someone so close.

i am LAB guy tho and only one for miles using a lab for grouse.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Sproulman - thanks for your mention of the Small Munsterlander. I had never heard of the breed before - and have been reading up on them - and they really are an interesting breed. I just might be interested in buying one, if I can find a breeder within a few hundred miles. Do any of you have any info on them?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NEK
Sproulman - thanks for your mention of the Small Munsterlander. I had never heard of the breed before - and have been reading up on them - and they really are an interesting breed. I just might be interested in buying one, if I can find a breeder within a few hundred miles. Do any of you have any info on them?
not yet.i have new friend that trained dogs for 50 years has one.
he said they are MEAT DOG,if you want meat, thats one.
go on youtube and you can see them hunting in water in heavy snow,unreal.
they have pointer, retriever and swim all in one package.they hunt CLOSE,give me one now.,
isnt that something.
they say there is not many in usa but there are breeders on net when i went looking.

look at youtube,good pics there.yes, when i am ready it may be the dog i get too ,taking my time but that water dog part has me real interested.

my friend said this,they are SETTER WITH WATER WINGS.
no doubt at this time my next dog is going to be a SM.

Last edited by sproulman; 01-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

The type of pointer you buy is not as important as the bloodlines of the specific dog. A good hunting setter is much harder to find than in other breeds such as gsp's weims, pudel pointers, etc. Find a breeder whose dogs come from proven and documented accomplishments such as AKC and NAVHDA tests. A show title is as good as toilet paper when it comes to a hunting dog. Choose the breed you like best based upon it's traits and search long and far for the ideal bloodline.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with what 4evrhtn stated about finding the hunting lines and doing your research.. However your research needs to be done with any hunting dog breed there is.. A turn off is when they tell me that this dog can do both hunt and show.. I am not saying that a good hunting can not be both however.. The norm is either it can hunt or it can't.. I know when I was setter hunting I was hunting one of the hardest hunting breeds to find.. I can not be any happier with what I have choosen.. But research is and always will be a must have..

For as far as which is better I really can not give you much input as you know I enjoy hunting with the old fashion Irish setters..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ouch

phil, i think toby knows i am looking at ANOTHER dog.he is sneaking around giving me the sly eye
Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I could help you with some good grouse dog gsps sproul. NAVHDA people who stand behind what they offer.

JW
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW
I could help you with some good grouse dog gsps sproul. NAVHDA people who stand behind what they offer.

JW
thanks.i am going to get a hunt with one of top trainers in my area of pa.,if i get over this cold.
he has GSP,SETTER,MUSTERLANDER.all 3 i will see in woods and his opinion on what he thinks i should get .
i hoping he will train whatever one i get but may not.

toby is just 9 yrs old so not sure if i am ready yet.
labs are my dog of choice but if i want to get grouse, i have got to change from lab .
i still have plans to always have lab in future but at 58 ,i am no young pup anymore.

soooooooooo,thats where i am at.
if labs would not tire out so quick ,i would just get another one but i have come to conclusion,to hunt grouse woods here in pa, LAB CANT DO WHAT POINTERS CAN .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.