Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pheasant hunting dog

Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have a great time and usually see a ton of birds, even though a lot are on private properties that I won't hunt because they charge from $150 a person per day on up to shoot three lousy roosters! We had a harder time this year because we got there so late compared to normal years. Usually we go the second or third week before others have pounded the area, which they really did this year as word gets around about the area being so good. This year I couldn't get there until the end of my 11 week trip because of big game hunts in WY, AZ, and NM that came first. I attached a picture of my DD, a two day limit of birds two of us got last year (it was so cold I waited to clean them all the second night and to get a good picture of a bunch of birds). This year we didn't kill many more than that in five days of hunting because of the late hunt. Next year I hope to get out there the second week like we usually do, but I'll get out there again no matter what dates we have to pick.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Any dog with heart will always be your best dog. After running for three - four hours, I have to stop hunting and pull my dog away (she's only six years old). Later in the season, where I hunt, everything is under water. Its like hunting in cattails. Bird hunters have to compete with duck hunters as there are several duck blinds in the area. One big marsh. The dogs have to hop above the tall grass & water. The water can come up to waist high in some places to mid calf in others.

My dog will pull up lame if hunting about four hours - favoring her hind leg. Everyone usually quits after two hours. Anything more is hard on their dogs. Even with aspirin and glucosamine, it still takes the rest of day to recover. She'll will run herself to the ground if I let her.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Topgun, that's a good looking dog & bunch of birds.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Mite! Most people that see Hercules (Herc for short) really like his markings and great temperment. He's my best buddy!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Spike

KT29: really beautifull picture (and dog)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

I've seen some "what the heck is that dogs" do excellent in the field. However most, inevitably, have some type of gun dog in them. I've never really seen any springers in the field though.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by KT29
Hey Topgun, I live West of Dickinson at South Heart. Our bird populations are considerably less than those in the Regent area. With the cold weather and the snow, the roosters are now starting to flock up which makes them considerably harder to hunt as you might expect. When one flushes, the rest aren't far behind. They are getting pretty spooky for sure. Still, with a good dog, and some hard hunting, one is still able to do Ok. Nothing like it was 3 or 4 years ago though. Was able to get out just before dark this afternoon and find a couple. Hope you had a good time hunting down at Regent.
what you need is to invite me out to hunt with you.toby is 9 now and black lab too.
i just got a SMALL MUSTERLANDER pup hopefully in july from out your way,well close to your state,mn.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Spike

Strictly pheasant I would say Spinger or Lab. A good field type in either would do the job wonderfully.

Breeding and training will determine which is better, not the breed itself.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

i agrre on lab/springer.SPRINGERS are pheasant hunting machines