Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Retriever ideas/questions >

Retriever ideas/questions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Retriever ideas/questions

Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default Retriever ideas/questions

Hey all, I am new here and had a few little inquiries regarding retrievers. First, could one conceivably train a retriever to, well, retrieve anything with an arrow in it? Apart from waterfowl I am thinking rabbit/small game hunting but taking the dog along for the ride.

Also, since I didn't have a good answer for her I'll ask what my wife is concerned about. Provided I get a retriever for hunting do I need to be concerned about accidental "retrieval" of other household pets ie cats?

I am a complete novice and likely won't be hunting or getting a dog this year but knowledge doesn't hurt.

Last edited by Childric; 09-03-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a high drive (fast) dog, I'd be concerned about the dog getting stuck with an arrow that didn't go completely through a game animal.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Spike

Thank you for that point. It didn't even occur to me. So probably not the best idea for arrows.

In that case does anyone do small game/upland bird hunting get their retrievers to retrieve? Just curious.

Also, any vallid arguments to "I'm worried that if you have a hunting dog it will kill the cat" that I can steal?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

My lab will retrieve anything I tell him to and he gets so excited about retriever and so amped up I would be afraid to let him be around an arrow like that cuz of him running dead sprint with it. Also my girlfriend has recently gotten a kitten and at first he was trying to retrieve it, but mainly just putting his mouth on it not actually biting it, but if you teach your pup what he can and can't do then he will learn real quick not to. labs are very smart
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for that. Perhaps I should save retrieving for guns then.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Dogs and Cats in the house is absolutely no problem. Any decent hunting dog will easily be able to remedy the situation.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default arrows

i've.seen.those.guys.shooting.ducks.with.an.arrow. He.would.shoot.50.arrows.To.get.one.duck.So.leave. the.arrows.for.targets.Cats.are.useless.unless.you .like.to.smell.cat.****.Labs.are.the.best.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Mine just wants to retrieve what I want him to.... When he hears, "fetch 'em up'! he's gone.......No problem with the cat or small babies.....Trained, there the best.....IMHO....