Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog >

Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog

Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I run Setter's and keeping burrs out can be a problem. Two things to try. I have a set of A5 Oster clippers with a #10 blade and I shave them down about early August. Another method I've heard works well is get some Show Sheen, for show dogs, and spray it on them. I was told once years ago to put Pam cooking spray on them. Forget that. I did it and Pam mixed with lots of dirt and burrs requires an A5 clipper to remove!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doc E
High level Hunt Test titles certainly don't bear that out.

If that is your only criterion for picking a dog. You need a lot of help.

Goldens in my experience (I've had three, none lived less than 12 yrs) are supremely more intelligent than any lab I've ever encountered.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I would go with what you feel you want.. That is exactly what I had done and do not have any regrets. There was a lot of folks tell me the Irish setters were no good and only had those stupid show dogs left in them. I did do some research and found what I had wanted. They hunt great for me and soon I will be running them on birds again. I wanted to trial mine but couldn't get the time to do it. I had even went out with those guys and walked a few braces when I could get the chance to. But, with my work schedule being what it is I couldn't make any plans on getting them to trial. So i enjoy them just the way they are. Good luck on what you decide Warren..
I guess you misunderstood the posting Phil - I am not looking to get another dog - GFY Camp is the one who started this thread. At this point in my life - I am not interested in owning another dog.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Don Fischer
I run Setter's and keeping burrs out can be a problem. Two things to try. I have a set of A5 Oster clippers with a #10 blade and I shave them down about early August. Another method I've heard works well is get some Show Sheen, for show dogs, and spray it on them. I was told once years ago to put Pam cooking spray on them. Forget that. I did it and Pam mixed with lots of dirt and burrs requires an A5 clipper to remove!
Been there - done that - When I was a kid, we had a hunting ****er Spaniel - lots of long hair - and we hunted him on pheasants and the burrs were a big headache. Someone told us to rub vaseline in his hair and the burrs wouldn't tangle so bad. What an awful - greasy mess we had. Never do that again!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
If that is your only criterion for picking a dog. You need a lot of help.

Goldens in my experience (I've had three, none lived less than 12 yrs) are supremely more intelligent than any lab I've ever encountered.
My list of criteria for picking a litter / puppy is as long as my arm.
Titles in the pedigree are only one (important) facet in the list.