Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Safest Heart worm Med??? >

Safest Heart worm Med???

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Safest Heart worm Med???

Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Safest Heart worm Med???

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what medication to treat heart worms or worms in general is the safest most efficient for my chocolate lab?
Thanks for the input!
Tim
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use heart gaurd. don't have a tape worm issue so cannot answer that one
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Spike

I use heartguard as well for my dog.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Banned

If you really mean "treatment" for a dog that has heartworms, go to the vet.
If you are talking prevention, Ivermection injectable cattle wormer. Give orally at 1/10 CC per 10# of body weight once per month.
Check the active ingrediant in Heart Guard, I think it is still Ivermection. Much more expensive than the Ivermec but no better.
DO NOT give to dogs with collie blood as it will kill them.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ivermection

Originally Posted by Snooky
If you really mean "treatment" for a dog that has heartworms, go to the vet.
If you are talking prevention, Ivermection injectable cattle wormer. Give orally at 1/10 CC per 10# of body weight once per month.
Check the active ingrediant in Heart Guard, I think it is still Ivermection. Much more expensive than the Ivermec but no better.
DO NOT give to dogs with collie blood as it will kill them.
It kills collies? Any breed?

I use heartguard as well. Never a problem.

ATB
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
It kills collies? Any breed?

I use heartguard as well. Never a problem.

ATB
We use ivermectin as well. We still use other dewormers once every about 6 months since ivermectin doesn't take care of the rest.

As for collies, it supposedly has this affect on all "cattle dog" (herding?) breeds.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I use Sentinel on my yellow lab.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Spike

I use Tri Heart Plus. Has worked great and my dogs can't help but eat other animal crap. lmao
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tim03b
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what medication to treat heart worms or worms in general is the safest most efficient for my chocolate lab?
Thanks for the input!
Tim
I have a retired black lab that is 12 yr. old. I have used Revalution made by Phizer all her life with no problems. Revalution not only prevents heart worms but kills all other parasite dog and cats can get such as fleas, ticks, all stomach worm, etc. It is very easy to apply just pop the little capsule and squeeze it between their shoulder blade once a month. It is a little pricey but not when you consider it will be the only treatment for all parasites. I get it from my local vet @ about 7.50 per dose. Jim
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Schmidty25
I use Tri Heart Plus. Has worked great and my dogs can't help but eat other animal crap. lmao
Heart worms only come from the bite of a mosquitoe that is a carrier. If there are mosquitoes, your dog is in danger of heartworms. A few pennies spent on Imervection each month takes care of the problem. As others have said, Imervection doesn't take care of all other worms, but gets most of them. A couple of wormings each year with conventional wormers and Fido is a happy dog. Other wormers also don't treat heart worms. If you don't know what you are doing, you can kill the dog along with the worms. Suddenly killing all the heart worms can cause a blockage of dead worms in the heart, killing the dog. Untreated dogs don't live to a ripe old age either. Prevention is MUCH cheaper than treatment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.