HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Book for training (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/340679-book-training.html)

hunt genious 02-22-2011 08:42 AM

Book for training

ANy suggestions on a book for beginner training of labs I have one on the way and intend on making her the best duck dog possible

Thanks for any replies

16gauge 02-22-2011 11:02 AM

Game Dog, by Richard Wolters

Gun dog training retrievers & spaniels, by Ken Roebuck

Retriever training: the complete guide to developing your hunting dog, by Tom Dokken

Training the Hunting Retriever: the new program, by Bill Tarrant.

The second and fouth book might be out of print, and you may have to looked for them in used book sources.

I used the first two to train my first dog (American water spaniel), and then I've trained two chessies since. Currently, I have a 6 month old female lab that I'm getting ready to do some outside work with as soon as the weather gets a little better.

Good luck......................

losthwy 02-23-2011 05:43 PM

My favorite is Mike Lardy's Vol I manual. Some like Evan Graham's material. The rock bottom would be any of Wolter's books.

SatinHunter 02-23-2011 06:03 PM

Water Dog by Richard Wolters has been around for ages and I have known people that swear by it. What do you not like about it losthwy?

hunt genious 02-26-2011 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the help

Foxton Gundogs 03-22-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 16gauge (Post 3777024)
Game Dog, by Richard Wolters

Gun dog training retrievers & spaniels, by Ken Roebuck

Retriever training: the complete guide to developing your hunting dog, by Tom Dokken

Training the Hunting Retriever: the new program, by Bill Tarrant.

The second and fouth book might be out of print, and you may have to looked for them in used book sources.

I used the first two to train my first dog (American water spaniel), and then I've trained two chessies since. Currently, I have a 6 month old female lab that I'm getting ready to do some outside work with as soon as the weather gets a little better.

Good luck......................

Roebuck is GREAT get his videos

Doc E 03-23-2011 06:00 AM

Wolters books are very outdated.
The current top of the line would be the Smartwork Series by Evan Graham.
Great books and they are enhanced with his DVDs. The Lardy books are super, but they are geared more toward the person wh is more experienced in dog training.
The Smartwork Series are great for the 'brand new' trainer.

losthwy 03-25-2011 05:39 AM

Like Doc E said Wolter's books are very outdated. Even when they were first written, Wolters wasn't an accomplished trainer. Often Wolter's books will lead you to a dead end wondering what do I do now when the dog doesn't respond as he states they will.The better materials out there are mostly based on Rex Carr's teaching and have evolved from him. Flow charts, Force-Fetch, Collar-Conditioning are just a few.

lettiedwestlake 03-27-2011 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by hunt genious (Post 3776967)
ANy suggestions on a book for beginner training of labs I have one on the way and intend on making her the best duck dog possible

Thanks for any replies

Hello, friends. I'm also looking for a training book. I hope somebody will help me. :confused2:

Doc E 03-27-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by lettiedwestlake (Post 3791605)
Hello, friends. I'm also looking for a training book. I hope somebody will help me. :confused2:

You've already been given a number of choices in this thread.
What more do you want ?

Click Here ----> www.rushcreekpress.com/