Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? >

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Spike

Depends on what you hunt. I've had Springer Spaniels since the 70's & wouldn't have anything else for pheasant. I don't duck hunt but I've seen Lab's do the job great!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Spike

My vote is for Drathtaars
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default The "real all around" dog?

I will be looking for a dog down the road and want a real do it all.

I do not get to hunt birds much simply because they seem to have dissappeared from the area and I do not have the time to travel. However, I would like a dog that can be trained to hunt birds.

In addition, the dog has to be able to find a downed deer if called upon.

It must also be capable of being a reasonable watch dog and trustworthy if left alone in the house and with guests.

I have been thinking of a German Short-Hair. Your opinions are solicited to solve this conundrum.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

gsp is nice dog.but cant take cold as good as AMERICAN LAB.gsp hunt way out .labs hunt close.gsp points.lab flushes.
gsp will hunt longer do to hair and the bone make-up.labs tire out faster do to heavier coat and bone make-up.LABS will look for you are time in heavy brush, in wind, snow, dark.GSP will hunt and most DONT look for you,THEY HUNT.

LAB will defend you with their life.i have had toby bounce off backs of black bears that he thought were too close to me in woods.they will defend your home also.

both are GOOD at home but LAB is better family dog.

those 2 are good choices.
i like SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN LAB.

there is no all around dog but those 2 are close.

remember,hunting is over in 6 weeks or so.WHAT DOES YOUR DOG DO REST OF YEAR?i take toby lab out in river swimming.he rides in my boat.he RETRIEVES a bumper, this fun.off leash ,he stays with me always 20 yds away.

a LOT of dogs take off after being released.GSP will take off and HUNT. that they do very well.
watch the tv shows and see what dogs they use most for birds.
you will always see a LAB/ENGLISH SETTER.i would say about 80% of time.

then you will see GSP/EP/springer spaniel.
a GSP will find more GROUSE than lab. that is fact. english setter will find more than LAB/GSP.

if i was going to get dog STRICTLY just for GROUSE HUNTING it would be LEWELLIN SETTER.next would be a GSP . next EP..

but i wanted a ALL AROUND DOG and closests to me was a SMALL AMERICAN L,LONG LEGGED LAB.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Sproulman,

I appreciate the advice. I guess I should have said that I am familiar with many hunting dog characteristics since I have had a number. My last one was a very special Irish Setter. He was a good bird dog and loved the water but, as a watch dog........he would hold the flashlight for a burglar.

My real difficulty is not so much picking out a hunting dog for birds, but picking out a hunting dog which is protective and will find those downed deer during archery season. That, is what makes this a problem. Finding a hunting dog or a watch dog or a tracker is not hard. I looking for the dog that can do all of it. A gordian knot for sure.

Last edited by Big Bullets; 06-10-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

some use LAB for hunting deer sheds.i have 46 bucks i have killed and about 30s with bow. i have yet to lose buck with bow and that is something.

but i only take 20 yd shots broadside.i use fred bear recurve with cedar arrows and bear points from 1965.
i bet i have left go over 70 bucks in those 46 yrs because buck was not broadside or over 25 yds away.
but this is not your question.
some use a dog , i forget name for trailing a deer.
some states allow dogs for deer hunting.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brittanys..............

2nd GSP

Water - Labs

Field - English Pointers

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

There are dogs that will hunt bird and track deer but as to an actual watchdog will be depend alot on the dog's personality. There are certain breeds well suited for guard duty like the shepard but there's alot of training on top of training for birds and blood tracking.

I would question if I wanted a guard dog out in the field. Especially, when the other hunters will also be carrying guns. A field of people and guns and a guard dog (trained by an amateur) just doesn't sound like it will mix.

As to the other aspects, bird and tracking, I would suggest a German breed like the DD.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 Irish Setters and I enjoy them alot. They do require a lot of attention however. They make great bird dogs and hunt in close for me. They tend to travel out there from time to time but come back in rather quickly.

For as far as a guard dog? My female will run up and try to jump in the burgulars lap while my male will surely put the run to them. He has done this twice in the last two years. Once when a group of young men were out trying to steal gas. Another time last winter when someone came up my drive to use my wireless internet connection around 1am which really pissed me off. I never taught him anything about guarding as it came naturally for him as well.

Tracking wounded deer? I never tried him or her for it. I have little doubt that they could do the job. I just have no need for them to do this and then have to brake them from chasing deer later on.. I have them hunt for birds and that is it. I did give it some thought on antler hunting with my male but decided against that as well. As surely I only want them to hunt for birds and only birds..
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

irish setters have great nose and hunt very hard for birds.they are great at that. toby my lab is GREAT in water and hunting ANYTHING i want him too.but he tires out quick from heavy coat.
usually lab is not guard dog,irish setter also.but toby BITES and you will get tore up if you get near home.he is TERRITORIAL AGGRESSIVE which is strange for lab.

almost any big dogs can do what you want,lab,setter,gsp,are good ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.