Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? >

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Spike

Default What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Only dogs from the sporting group...like spaniels, pointers, setters, and retrievers.

Grade them on upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, retrieving skills, and how much they love their owners.

I personally love weims particularly blue weims which is why i own one.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I mentioned last August :

It's Official : The Best Hunting Dog Is -----

The Best Hunting Dog Is -----

The one you enjoy hunting over. The dog that does everything that you want & need it to do for the particular game and type of hunting that you are doing.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

German drahthaars-period.

No, really, whatever dog makes you happy, fits your life, your hunting style, your personality.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best hunting dog

Originally Posted by MTdrahthaar
German drahthaars-period.

No, really, whatever dog makes you happy, fits your life, your hunting style, your personality.
No, you were right the first time. It's Drahthaars for sure.
ATB
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best Dog

Originally Posted by honeysmith
Only dogs from the sporting group...like spaniels, pointers, setters, and retrievers.

Grade them on upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, retrieving skills, and how much they love their owners.

I personally love weims particularly blue weims which is why i own one.
English Springer Spaniel. English blood lines.
IMO
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Doc E
As I mentioned last August :

It's Official : The Best Hunting Dog Is -----

The Best Hunting Dog Is -----

The one you enjoy hunting over. The dog that does everything that you want & need it to do for the particular game and type of hunting that you are doing.

I agree with what Doc E has stated. I hunt with the Irish Setters and wouldn't want it any other way. They suite me just fine but may not suite any one else on here. So it depends on how you hunt as well as the terrain you are hunting in..

I did not come on here to talk up one breed over another as it has no place for any one. We all can agree that we like the dogs we hunt over. So to each of us that dog is the best. My Irish doesn't enjoy sitting around. They like to run and look for things which happens to be birds. That is exactly what I want them to do.. Hunt upland game birds.. That was the goal when I got them and that is exactly what I have them doing. I do not want mine to go after anything other than game birds period no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Go they will all day long and I have a hard time getting them out of my truck when we get home. Why? because they want to keep on hunting and doing what I want them to do. For me that is my kind of dog. Nothing more than that and nothing less than what I want them to do. That is what matters to me and that is what matters to each of you. Having your hunting dog hunting for you just the way you want it to..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 01-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

remember after season is over,WHAT DOES YOU DOG DO?toby my lab retrieves at home with his toy.he goes in river and swims with me and walks river banks looking for things with me.he goes ice fishing. he rides in my bass boat and dives in water.
he rides on my lap while i cut grass.

labs can take zero weather,nice big feet,they can swim,good around people, dont shed to much,dont need a bath.
they will hunt anything.toby hunts bear, coyotes,fox,bobcats, rabbits,squireals,grouse,pheasants.
only problem i see with toby and most labs.if you get bigger labs over 80 pds,they tire out quick.

even toby tires out do to heat and heavy coat.
if you condition lab like doc e does, you can get 3 hrs out of lab.
on warm day in woods hunting grouse with toby he is tired after 2 hrs.
other dogs can go for hrs in woods.
english setter/gsp will go for long time in woods.
if i was going to pick a dog being close to lab, it would be GSP.
but i like labs ,i just wish i could hunt more with toby but i understand heat is tough on lab.

take care sproul
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Spike

I guess I have to agree with the boys above. I love my Drathtaar! I can't impagine having any other dog. But each dog has it's own personality and talent, and instincts. If all hunters hunted the exact same things there would be a lot less fun to go around! It's like trying to decide who makes the best bow. It's all about who's shooting it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Spike

Me I got a Britt he is a really good hunting dog. I upland hunt with him and I take him duck hunting as well. He is ok duck hunting.. But I think any dog that will go out in the feild and work as hard as he can for you is a GREAT dog...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

I raised German SHorthairs in the 70's and recently I have two English Setters and they are all great in their own way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.