Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs >

Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs

Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs

I'm a professional dog trainer and also a breeder of Goldens. I'm working on a long term project to reintroduce Goldens into the field. I'm trying to focus on a great family dog and field companion with the focus on keeping the "family dog" character strong. Most of our customers are in the woods often (hiking, trail walking, etc...) but only hunt over the dogs a handful of times per year. Most of the high energy lines are unsuitable for the typical family based on their energy level.

We have a 24 yr old line of solid companions and we're always looking for good stock, feedback and advise to help with the line.

Does anyone have any experience hunting over a Golden?

Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs-clemfield.jpgGolden Retrievers as Field Dogs-ahsoka00008.jpg

Golden Retrievers as Field Dogs-lumi-01.jpgGolden Retrievers as Field Dogs-lumi-03.jpg
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

You should talk to Mike Ducross up in Cornwall, Ontario. His business' website is:

http://www.cphsales.com/

Good luck
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

We once had a golden but this dog was a bust at hunting. She was very smart with an actual sense of humor but for hunting, well, she was better at hunting mice. She would bootlick and would rather greet other hunters than look for birds. And decoys were toys to play with.