HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   A few questions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/335491-few-questions.html)

dwallac3 12-02-2010 07:53 PM

A few questions?

I am looking for a dog. Unfortunately I had to put my English Setter down. I am thinking of going for a more versatile hunting dog this time. I am kind of looking at the Wirehaired pointing Griffrons and the German Wirehaireds. I am open to other breeds but those are the two I am leaning towards right now. So any imput on that would be welcomed.
Also, I trained my English Setter when I was a boy with a neighbor. The neighbor was great he had live pheasants and quail pinned up. It was awesome once we graduated from the wing on a stick. My problem lies in I do not have that opportunity anymore. I would still like to be the one that trains the dog. I understand that I can do what I can do and then just hunt with the dog and use that to teach him. What I am wondering is what you guys do to train your dogs without live birds. I was thinking of getting one of the bird launchers and wrapping some wings up together and put it in their and then "shoot it" after it comes out. Just wondering what you think of that.
Also any imput on training water retrieving for waterfowl would be nice. I have never done it and am wondering about it.
Thanks

TN308 12-02-2010 09:02 PM

The Great Labrador Retriever.

Doc E 12-03-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by dwallac3 (Post 3733329)
1. What I am wondering is what you guys do to train your dogs without live birds.

2. I was thinking of getting one of the bird launchers and wrapping some wings up together and put it in their and then "shoot it" after it comes out. Just wondering what you think of that.

3. Also any imput on training water retrieving for waterfowl would be nice. I have never done it and am wondering about it.
Thanks

Don't discount the Pointing Labrador as a versatile dog.

1. Pigeons are plentiful and cheap if you don't have access to "game birds".

2. Dead feathers don't smell like live birds. Get some live birds.

3. The Smartwork series of books and DVDs.
Available at www.rushcreekpress.com/

Cessna Flyer 12-04-2010 04:51 PM

Another for what Doc E said

Mite 12-06-2010 11:39 PM

If you are use to hunting with a wide ranging setter, its gonna be hard getting use to a retrievers range. But for waterfowl, a retriever or versatile is the way to go. As to exposing your dog to birds, do what we of little funds do, visit a game farm. Half dozen quail will cost you perhaps fifty bucks.

mustad 12-08-2010 10:26 AM

As far as training is concerned, you should join a local NAVHDA chapter. You will get everything you need from it including the opportunity to meet some great people.

On the dog end, any of the versatiles will work well for you. Personally I would favor a Wirehair over a Griff, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

The best thing you can do is go to some NAVHDA and/or JGHV training days/hunt tests and watch the dogs. You will see a wide variety of dogs. Narrow it down to a few and then research them. Talk to as many breeders as you can and find one or two that hunt the game you hunt and in the way you like to hunt. These are the guys that will produce the dog that you want.

Good luck