Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 What to do with my new lab pup? >

What to do with my new lab pup?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What to do with my new lab pup?

Old 07-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default What to do with my new lab pup?

I recently bought a little 13 week old yellow lab puppy, in hopes of training him to be my new hunting companion. I wish i could have come by him earlier, but i got him as soon as i heard about him. Well i am in the process of teaching him how to sit, stay and come. He has the sit down pretty well, but he doesn' t really know about stay and come so far. Well my dilemma is the fact that in about 1 month i have to go back off to college (out of town) and will only be able to see my pup on weekends, as he has to stay here at my house with my family. They will care for him, but i know they don' t have the time to train him while i am gone, plus, he is my responsibility to train. I am afraid this will affect our training as well as our bond that i am trying to form with him. I want him to be my dog, and my friend, and a well trained hunting dog, and i am afraid that while i am gone he will end up turning into a family dog. Is there anything i can do, or will this affect his learning much?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:46 PM

Default RE: What to do with my new lab pup?

Been there done that..........major mistake in my opinion!!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Q

I agree with Caveman22. Your fears are warranted. Poor planning, man!! Q
Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Comes down to the " 7-Ps" my man. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:13 PM

G,
I have to agree with others on bad planning. It took me 8 years and about 8 months of rsearch find a breeder I liked.

Your solution if you can aford it is to send him to a pro trainer and let him train your pup.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:56 PM

G-Dawg,
Do you make it home on weekends or are you gone for semesters at a time? I think that family bonding is important, but if you' re not there, all that' s out the window!

Jim
Old 07-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Visit your pup as often as you can and train a lot while you' re with him. Many short sessions are preferable to long ones. Also, make sure you give him a refresher of everything he has learned before moving on to new skills.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-30-2003, 10:40 AM

he should still make a good lap dog

i would have to say you should of thought about the timing little bit better but with all that said and done try and find someone who lives off campus that would allow you to keep you dog at their house. i know it sounds kinda stupid but my buddy did it and everything turned out fine.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM

I agree with what has been said about the timing issue. However, lets look at the positives : You will be working the pup on weekends- make sure that everyone of your family members back at home know your commands. Don' t let them throw balls or frisbees to him (confusing for them when you are being serious with dummies and bumpers).
Spend as much time as you can in this month before you go back to school with the pup. This is a huge bonding time in his life.
Make sure you are focused and have planned out training sessions for your weekends with him. You will ofcourse need to be flexible and as mentioned do A LOT of refreshing. But also make time for fun with him.
Be patient. You have to realize development will be slow because of your time constraints.
If you are training the Lab for primarily Upland bird hunting you don' t have as much of a mountain to climb. Waterfowl (to do it even half way correct), needs a great deal more time and I would recommend stronly seesions with professionals.

I didn' t start training my lab to hunt until he was 8 months old because I was primarily a bow hunter before I got into dog training. But he is a fantastic retriever and pheasant' s nightmare.

You got two really good things going for you: 1) You care enough to seek help with your situation and 2) You don' y have a dog you have a LAB. I will never get another breed. They are smart, easy to train and great with people.

Best of luck with training and with college.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.