Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

new puppy has parvo...

Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default new puppy has parvo...

ive had the puppy for a week now, this am he wouldnt eat and would not get up. he was fine last night, then all of a sudden hes very ill. he also vomited. i had a bad feeling so we took him in. positive for parvo. ive been reading alot about it, and its not for sure he will make it. not the best news. im trying to figure out where he contracted the virus from, ive contacted the breeder, shes looking into it. anyone else have any experience with this virus?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Spike

Sorry to hear about this. Best wishes to you and your puppy. I don't know anything about the disease, but this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

My GF saved her now 12-year pitbull from Parvo when he was a puppy, and he's been a wonderful dog. Don't give up hope!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pups can come down with Parvo despite having the appropriate preventative vaccine. It is rare but does happen. Any breeder worth their salt would have provided the preventative vaccines on the proper schedule and also had a record thereof for you.

Parvo is bad news. I have had only one pup, a Basset, come down with Parvo. He did not make it. And he was vaccinated properly. Get to a vet ASAP if you have not already. It'll be very tough to save the dog, but it has happened. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

It may be a wives tale, but try feeding raw eggs. I had a beagle make it with parvo and I guess maybe it was luck but heck, may have been helped by the eggs. I have always heard though that parvo is contracted from the ground. Hope this helps bud. BB
Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

OH, and also my vet told me not to give her water either, but give her an ice cube at a time. For some reason that's the only way she'd want to take fluids in. BB
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is my understanding as well, that parvo can come from the ground where an infected animal has been. It could be from a cat or dog or just about any animal that is infected. Just by walking threw an area that has it can cause it to spread if I remember right. None of my dogs have ever had and I hope they do not. Good Luck with your pup and I hope the vet can save it for you..
Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Spike

He has been in the vet since Monday, he's eating and drinking on his own now. He's almost back to normal but not clear yet. Ill keep y'all updated
Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

When my pup got parvo, it was brutal. Not only on him, but on my heart for him.
I kept him hydrated through IV hydration (ex-girlfriend is a nurse), and kept him with me 24/7 to monitor him through it.
That was 3 years ago, and he's doing very well! No ill effects at all.
It's a virus in the ground that dogs get by ingesting dirt particles. It's something that just happens I suppose.
We'll pray for your pup's speedy recovery.
Keep him hydrated, and he'll be fine.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
That is my understanding as well, that parvo can come from the ground where an infected animal has been. It could be from a cat or dog or just about any animal that is infected. Just by walking threw an area that has it can cause it to spread if I remember right. None of my dogs have ever had and I hope they do not. Good Luck with your pup and I hope the vet can save it for you..
your right phil.dogs get it from eating dog poo or duck poo or raccoon.
i dont know what it is but some LABS seem to like POO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.