Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

new puppy has parvo...

Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

My dog had this virus also,the best thing to do is take them to the vet if you get it there fast enough the pup will live,mine survived they put her on an iv she was fine 2 days later and home,had to feed her lean burger and rice for a few days,she is strong and healthy today,what the virus does is causes them to dehydrate because they cant keep liquids down so you really need a vet so they use the iv to keep the dog hydrated,parvo is in the dirt and is worst in cool or cold weather and when the soil is wet.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

It actually has nothing to do with coon crap or duck or goose crap,the virus is in the ground.I have it so bad in my yard have lost a litter of pups 3 days after they was born to the virus,I think you can bleach the yard but i am not sure.I think your dog will survive the main thing is that IV.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have raised dogs for 46 yrs with dad and NEVER had ground cause anything.it was usually being around adult dog and catcthing something or eating something, like animal poo that caused problems.
my friends lab did almost die from eating other dogs poo.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I guess you could be right I am no dog breeder or anything I guess if they were eating off the ground and a previous dog had crapped there and it soaked in the dirt maybe thats how it gets in the dirt.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
I guess you could be right I am no dog breeder or anything I guess if they were eating off the ground and a previous dog had crapped there and it soaked in the dirt maybe thats how it gets in the dirt.
yes, ground can have many things in it.but usually if anything happens to puppy its from contact with ADULT DOG.that can come from ground where a ADULT DOG has been, like peeing on a pole etc.
this is why i tell people to keep puppy away from public places where dogs have been.
my friends lab was adult when he got very sick.but we found out later it was LYME disease.
puppys will pick up things and a lot is in genes also.genes cause a lot of sickness, they had it from birth or picked it up in litter.

this is why most mix breed dogs are tough dogs and dont get the problemsthat full breed ones do.

a lot of dogs are born with problems.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by critterkiller88
ive had the puppy for a week now, this am he wouldnt eat and would not get up. he was fine last night, then all of a sudden hes very ill. he also vomited. i had a bad feeling so we took him in. positive for parvo. ive been reading alot about it, and its not for sure he will make it. not the best news. im trying to figure out where he contracted the virus from, ive contacted the breeder, shes looking into it. anyone else have any experience with this virus?
How old is your pup? Was he vaccinated prior to his departure from the breeder? Was the bitch titred prior to her being bred.

Sorry for the questions. My reason is the following:

A breeder can titer a bitch prior to breeding her. This titer is basically a blood test to measure the level of antibodies she has against diseases. The only reliable titers currently will measure antibodies against Parvo and Distemper. As long as her levels are above an acceptable level and the pups were allowed to nurse right off to get the collostrum; they should have enough antibodies in them to cover for up to 16 weeks; but most definately up to 9-12 weeks.

Based on the age of the pup, vaccination protocol and nursing practices of the breeder, you should be able to track down the origins of the problem.

Good luck. I hope your pup is doing better.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mustad
How old is your pup? Was he vaccinated prior to his departure from the breeder? Was the bitch titred prior to her being bred.

Sorry for the questions. My reason is the following:

A breeder can titer a bitch prior to breeding her. This titer is basically a blood test to measure the level of antibodies she has against diseases. The only reliable titers currently will measure antibodies against Parvo and Distemper. As long as her levels are above an acceptable level and the pups were allowed to nurse right off to get the collostrum; they should have enough antibodies in them to cover for up to 16 weeks; but most definately up to 9-12 weeks.

Based on the age of the pup, vaccination protocol and nursing practices of the breeder, you should be able to track down the origins of the problem.

Good luck. I hope your pup is doing better.

very good info.most problems start from mom and shots etc.some is caught later from other dogs but you info is right on money.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some times they are going to get parvo and it doesn't matter what you do. I raised racing greyhounds for several years, gave all the pups and bitches their shots, and sometimes you would have one or two get parvo regardless. I would take saline solution and a 30 cc syringe and inject it under the skin, making a solution knot under the skin. They would absord the fluid even if they couldn't keep water on their stomach. After they started drinking a little I would give them Gatorade, they liked it.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Spike

pup is doing alot better but still in the vet for observation til monday. i got the pup when he was 9 weeks old and he had parvo 7 days later. he was vaccinated with his first shot before i got him. he was weaned at 5 weeks, which might drop his immunity levels. from talking to the doc today it sounds like hes doing very well, so im happy. except for the 1000$ vet bill. but you gotta do what you gotta do. thanks for all the support guys. ill let you know when i find more out.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by critterkiller88
pup is doing alot better but still in the vet for observation til monday. i got the pup when he was 9 weeks old and he had parvo 7 days later. he was vaccinated with his first shot before i got him. he was weaned at 5 weeks, which might drop his immunity levels. from talking to the doc today it sounds like hes doing very well, so im happy. except for the 1000$ vet bill. but you gotta do what you gotta do. thanks for all the support guys. ill let you know when i find more out.
glad pup is doing better.i know feeling on 1,000 dollars.tobys toe had to be removed and it was very expensive.now he is getting tumors all over.he is 7 years old .............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.