Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Got a new pup, when to start training? >

Got a new pup, when to start training?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Got a new pup, when to start training?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

I don't usually respond to these threads because I don't know anything about tracking dogs. But for basic obediance training, you can apply a few simple techniques now to condition the dog for later training.

When walking the dog, if he starts to pull, a quick nudge back on the leash using the same amount of pressure. Do it enough times and the dog will know not to pull. Then when the dog has grown enough for OB training, you can use the basic same technique to train 'heel'.

Other tricks are meal time, recall. I'm sure you can think of other calls/commands you need to teach which the dog can be conditioned to now.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Everybody has there own opinion on training dogs why because not everybody hunts there dogs the same. In my opinion you need to socialize your dog with kids, lots of different people, and other dogs. If not he will Prolly be very protective and aggressive with other dogs. That's the last thing I want when running my cur dogs is fighting. They will sick on command if needed. I would really work on obedience and put him on as much fur as possible if he has the drive it will all fall into place.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
You already messed that dog up.

That dog needs to be out in the coop and not in the house.

I would start training it from the time it was 12 weeks old.

You let them kids play with that dog and you are going to have a hard time getting it to hunt. All it will want to do is play and stay in the house.
BALONEY!!! What are you thinking giving bad advice like that?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Feistman
BALONEY!!! What are you thinking giving bad advice like that?
Here is a badly pampered dog who has the run of the house!

Dog whom this past weekend Retrieved 4 readheads, 2 woodcuks, pointed several grouse and wood**** to which shot!

There are 2 schools of thought in dog training.
1. Dog left in a kennel is more eager to learn during training sessions.
2. Dog in the house is trained more often.

You pick
I chose #2

JW
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

A dog left in a kennel for awhile, once let out, will run. It will run fast and run far. Only when its tired will it seek out its owner.