HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Looking for weimaraner and chesapeak breeders around Northern Illinois, will travel.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/330370-looking-weimaraner-chesapeak-breeders-around-northern-illinois-will-travel.html)

tazman7 09-22-2010 04:13 PM

Looking for weimaraner and chesapeak breeders around Northern Illinois, will travel..

I am looking for a GOOD Weimaraner and chesapeake bay retriever breeder in the Northern Illinois area. Will train her to hunt.

I still havent decided which one I want, but I have wanted one (or both:biggrin:) for years now and I am finally buying a house on a half of acre so we have a nice sized yard for them to release some energy on.

JW 09-22-2010 06:51 PM

Contact navhda.org

Judy Balog - Traverse City, Mi has a very nice line and they hunt both on land and water.

JW

cterbow 09-23-2010 04:55 AM

I do not know if this helps but i can get you information for a breeder in Kalamazoo Michigan. my brother has used her and his 1yr old is winning hunting trials like crazy. i have seen the dogs very nice looking and temperament. the whole family hunts.

tazman7 09-23-2010 05:36 AM

Thanks JW- Ill look them up.

cterbow- Yeah if you could id like to go to a few breeders to have more options.

cterbow 09-29-2010 12:23 PM

here is the contact information for the breeder that my bro used

Her website is timberdoodleweimaraners.com. She does make you sign a contract that you will get a hunting title with your dog and has limited breeding rights.

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-03-2010 08:38 AM

My brother bought a Chessie up in Wisconsin.

He flew in an airplane from Pittsburgh to the closest airport there.
Rented a car, drove for another 3 hours, picked up the dog, drove back the 3 hours, bought the dog a seat on the plane and flew home.

All i can tell you is that you will probably need more then 1/2 of a acre for that dog to run in.

My brothers dogs name is Maggie and she loves water and she loves to hunt pheasants.

The problem with Maggie is that he kept her in the house and she is used to attention and he has to haul her around in a crate and when she gets in the truck she knows that she is going hunting and she barks constantly from the time she gets in the truck until when you leave her out of the crate. It doesn't matter if it is 4 hours later.

She is very kind and very loyal and very protective - but not over protective. She just kind of looks after his kids like a mother hen.
She loves being outside and doesn't like sleeping in her crate at night.

She developed hip problems by the age of 8 and got arthritis by the age of 9 and is now 14 years old and can no longer walk long distances or hunt.

So if she lives one more year, half of her life - she was sick in one form or another.

I would definitely buy one of those dogs if barking did not upset you or your neighbors. When my brother had a Rottweiler - the Chessie beat up the Rottweiler many times. When he moved to Charlotte NC - the first thing the neighbors told him was that he had to get rid of the Rottweiler but he could keep the Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

That tells me that they judged the dog by the reputation and not on a one on one individual basis.

If you keep the dog indoors - be aware that it doesn't shed much, but that it will always have muddy paws if it can find a mud puddle it will jump into it and if it can find a stream - it will walk in it - even if it is 100 yards long. They love water.

The dog gets into my brothers garden and eats all his tomato's and peppers and even the Zucchini and cucumbers. It will eat an apple - core and all. They have a very high feed bill.

If you don't buy Iam's it poops all over the place..