Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Great opportunity for northeasterners to try a Field Trial !! >

Great opportunity for northeasterners to try a Field Trial !!

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Great opportunity for northeasterners to try a Field Trial !!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Exclamation Great opportunity for northeasterners to try a Field Trial !!

Have you ever wanted to bring your pointing dog to a field trial, but just a little too anxious about the whole thing?

The Hudson Valley GSP Club will be hosting their fall field trial at the Flaherty field trial grounds in East Windsor, CT in two weeks (Sept. 25th & 26th) just northeast of Hartford. These grounds are very safe and well insulated from paved roads. The HVGSPC run a great trial and the folks are both knowledgable and friendly.

If you live in MA, CT, RI, southeastern NY, southern VT or NH, this is an easy place to get to- off of Rt. 84 or Rt. 91 in CT (less than 2 hours from Boston).

You don't know how to ride a horse? NOT a problem! As the Amateur Stakes are foot handled.

Your dog isn't steady to shot? NOT a problem! as the Puppy stakes (dogs up to 15 months) & Derby stakes (dogs up to 24 months) DO NOT require the dogs to be steady.

The Puppy stakes don't even require a dog to point a bird in order to get placed, the judges are more concerned with the dog's forward run, desire to find birds & potential.

The Derby stakes require the dog to find/point at least one bird, but the dog doesn't even need to be steady to flush- so long as the judge sees your dog point & the bird is produced.

I know for certain that the entries for Amateur Walking Derby are light. This stake is scheduled to run on Sunday, Sept. 26th. If your AKC registered pointing breed dog is 24 months of age or younger on 9/25, they are eligible to run in this stake. If your dog points and handles (listens to you), this would be a GREAT way to try out field trials, expose yourself & your dog to a new birdhunting "game" and meet some nice folks. You would also get a chance to see some AWESOME broke dogs work if you would like to walk/ride any of the broke dog stakes.

If interested, send email to: [email protected] & I'll send you the premium list/entry form- which looks alot like a hunt test entry form. You can also reply to this thread with your email address if you prefer & I'll send the premium along just the same.

Hoping to get some new blood at the HVGSP trial on 9/25 & 9/26 !!

Rob