HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Help! My Lab puppy wont release the dummy after a retrieve (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/329415-help-my-lab-puppy-wont-release-dummy-after-retrieve.html)

SD_Gobbler 09-09-2010 12:43 PM

Help! My Lab puppy wont release the dummy after a retrieve

I have a 5 month old black lab and I am having trouble getting him to release his training dummy after he retrieves it. He has no problem fetching and coming back, but as soon as he gets to me he wants to play and have me chase him or play tug-o-war. I wont do either with him. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get him to drop the dummy? Thanks!!

Vizsla Vince 09-09-2010 04:45 PM

Maybe you can try blowing in his ear. No, seriously, when he gets back to you, love him up, tell him he's a good boy, & pick up his ear & blow in it hard & short. He'll most likely spit the dummy out, & you can praise him some more for delivering.
Or just roll the dummy into his mouth, he'll instinctively release.

mnprohunter 09-09-2010 05:50 PM

try this; one, have a check cord...a short one so when he comes back of the trys the play method, he can't...cause you can grab the rope and get him back...also try a nobbed dummy because they usually dont' want to grap on to that like they do the soft canvas ones...and he should want to release. also, throw in an area where he has no choice but to come all the way back to you

sproulman 09-11-2010 06:03 PM

WORK ON YOUR COMMANDS AND DOG THAT YOUNG IS STILL LEARNING.
when he comes back he must learn to SIT,then you say DROP IT,then you throw it and say BACK.
toby does all 3 easy. actually i dont use the BACK no more.i use SIT/DROP IT

sproulman 09-11-2010 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mnprohunter (Post 3679158)
try this; one, have a check cord...a short one so when he comes back of the trys the play method, he can't...cause you can grab the rope and get him back...also try a nobbed dummy because they usually dont' want to grap on to that like they do the soft canvas ones...and he should want to release. also, throw in an area where he has no choice but to come all the way back to you

I USED THE HALLWAY IN MY YARD TO TRAIN TOBY. he had to come right too me , no way to get around me.YOUR idea is very good one and works.

4evrhtn 09-11-2010 08:09 PM

some guys are against it but treats have worked great for me. Give him something he wants in return for giving you the dummy.

sproulman 09-12-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3680397)
some guys are against it but treats have worked great for me. Give him something he wants in return for giving you the dummy.

if you watch those dog shows they are always sneaking the dog a TREAT.
toby loves those PUPARONI STICKS.he will stand on his head for one.

SD_Gobbler 09-13-2010 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advice!! Im gonna try your tips out.

GrayDawg 09-13-2010 12:01 PM

I have three words of advice for you:

Force Fetch program

losthwy 09-13-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by GrayDawg (Post 3681372)
I have three words of advice for you:

Force Fetch program

Yup, part of which is the DROP Command. Sounds like you are not following a structured program.