Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? >

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Spike

My mixed up beast is one of the best dogs I have ever had.

He is an old dog that I taught how to run rabbits (not that hard to do,he is smart and caught on really fast). He isn't a show dog by any means, but I am proud of him.

~~RW
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

For me its got to be my GSP, hands down. Granted everyone has their own opinion, but in my exerience GSPs get it done. Everything from pointing, to tracking and even hitting the water. My GSP has a switch i tell people, inside the house he is great, lays around and even knows how to use the recliner, its pretty funny. But outside he can run all day and find birds, and ive hardly trained him. Its in the blood. Great dogs.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Spike

Originall posted by MUSTAD:

Agreed there are EP's born with the desire to retrieve. There are even those born with the desire to swim. The difference is you don't have a group of EP owners marketing the notion of a Retrieving Elhew Pointer. They know what they have and stick to their guns.

Actually yes there are lines of EP that are "marketed" for having retrieving desire. A friend of mine, that also has PL's, sought one out and bought it. It very nearly passed a retieving test. Smoked the water marks, lost track of the third land single and quartered the field...... As he says, why not have a dog that can do both?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by limiman12
why not have a dog that can do both?
Not for me. I only do upland and retrieving is only a bonus. I want my dog chomping at the bit to get going out in the field. I want her to whimper and cry in the car when we are still driving down the freeway because she wants to hunt so badly. I want her to once out of the car, relieve her bowels because she is so excited. All this she does whenever we go out.

We usually get to the field early so I tie up my dog to a nearby tree. She'll pull, jump, bite at the leash while barking up a storm. Trying to hold this dog still and silent would be a monumental task which I wouldn't enjoy trying. So, waterfowl with this dog would be insane but I like her enthusiasm for upland.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by limiman12
Originall posted by MUSTAD:

Agreed there are EP's born with the desire to retrieve. There are even those born with the desire to swim. The difference is you don't have a group of EP owners marketing the notion of a Retrieving Elhew Pointer. They know what they have and stick to their guns.

Actually yes there are lines of EP that are "marketed" for having retrieving desire. A friend of mine, that also has PL's, sought one out and bought it. It very nearly passed a retieving test. Smoked the water marks, lost track of the third land single and quartered the field...... As he says, why not have a dog that can do both?
I only have two issues with what you're saying:

1. I really have a tough time swallowing that there are people taking Wehle's lines and trying to create retrieving EP's out of them. You're going to have to show me a pedigree to prove this one. If it's true, I bet Brian's not too happy about it.

2. The dog fails a test and that disproves my point? Not sure I buy off on this.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mite
Not for me. I only do upland and retrieving is only a bonus. I want my dog chomping at the bit to get going out in the field. I want her to whimper and cry in the car when we are still driving down the freeway because she wants to hunt so badly. I want her to once out of the car, relieve her bowels because she is so excited. All this she does whenever we go out.

We usually get to the field early so I tie up my dog to a nearby tree. She'll pull, jump, bite at the leash while barking up a storm. Trying to hold this dog still and silent would be a monumental task which I wouldn't enjoy trying. So, waterfowl with this dog would be insane but I like her enthusiasm for upland.
this is why dedicated killing hunter that wants birds gets 2 DOGS.
toby my lab does everything well BUT his only problem is he wears out quick.when he does he does not have the get up and go as he did when i left him loose 1 hr ago.

most i can get out of toby is about 1 and 1/2 hr of hunting and his tongue is hitting ground.that heavy coat and big strong bones ,in my opinion aRE NOT MADE FOR UPLAND HUNTING in steep hills here in pa for grouse.
examples of combo dogs.

LAB/GSP
LAB /SETTER
LAB/BRITTANYS
LAB/BEAGLES
but i only want 1 dog at home that is a GOOD ALL AROUND DOG for water,home,retrieveing,take cold wind/snow other animals like coyote,bobcat,traps,strong feet.boy does a lab have a brain for learning quick.they were rated 7th out of 50 breeds on brains, i believe that too.

so far the SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN FIELD LAB is as close to above as you can get.
like said, only problem i have in toby is heavy coat just wears him out quick in early october hunting grouse.

i had GSP i hunted with got all day on grouse while toby was strecthed out in truck dead as a doornail after 2 hrs of hunting.
so i only hunt 2 hrs and go home.

take care sproul
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sproul - need to ask - what physical shape is Toby in and how old?

it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a dog in shape (data from Purina Farms) and that is strong conditioning and a good diet.

A dog with only a 1 and half go ~ is out of shape.

JW
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

he is 7 yrs 8 months and 6 days old.

even when he was 2 he could not hunt long.he weights 76 pds.i have him in river 3 times a week and running along side me on bike for about 1 mile or so 2 times a week.
even then his tongue looks a foot long hanging out.

PACO over on the POINTING LAB FORUM said same thing that labs do tire out quick.DOC E over there says his can go 4 hrs and he runs his 5 miles per day.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sproul - That is a good exercise program. Water often too while doing it.

And I stand corrected.

JW
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW!
Sproul - That is a good exercise program. Water often too while doing it.

And I stand corrected.

JW
its like beagles i raised, they could hunt for 4 hrs easy.i just feel LABS body was not built for say hunting grouse for hours.those pointers/gsp/ setters, they seem to go forever,even some hunt next day.

yet some like DOC E hunt their labs 4 hrs. but he really works them, 5 hrs running daily he does.

heat in fall i feel kills toby the most. in february he will hunt 4 hrs easy in cold.the heavy coat just wears toby down.that is why i hunt near water all the time so he can dive in.
or bring a garden sprayer along and spray him down.

i thought about shaving his hair off in oct. i know that would work but i dont feel most would like me to do that.

so, i hunt 2 hrs and go home while my brother with his LEWELLIN SETTER says, SEE YOU TONIGHT SPROUL WE ARE HEADING UP THE HILL FOR GROUSE.

man that makes me mad when he says that.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.